Shocker: Lebedev-Jones Doctor Was Not Allowed To Stop It
By Alexey Sukachev
On May 17th, WBA "regular" cruiserweight champion Denis Lebedev met WBA's "champion in recess" Guillermo Jones in one of the most savage fights in recent memory. Lebedev was battling for almost half a fight with a giant hematoma, covering and distorting the right side of his face. Many thought the massacre should have been stopped as early as the sixth round, but Lebedev carried on to display unearthly courage and remained in the fight until the eleventh round when he was stopped.
In his brief interview with “Podmoskovie” daily, Lebedev’s ex-manager Vladimir Hryunov confirmed that the ringside physician was not allowed to halt action by unknown individuals, despite the severe injury of Lebedev.
- Right after his loss to Jones, Denis Lebedev informed local media that he was breaking ties with you. Has he explained why?
- I don’t want to comment on this.
- Rumors are widespread around Russian boxing community that, despite a frightening hematoma over Lebedev’s right eye, the local doctor at the venue wasn’t allowed to stop the fight…
- I was shocked when I have first read about it. I asked him (the doctor) about these rumors, and he has confirmed (to me) that it was indeed the case. He was prohibited to stop it. Right now we are investigating all of the circumstances related to this incident. Our findings will be announced at the end of the month.
- Some witnesses have gone as far as to suggest that the doctor was physically intimidated to stay out of the action.
- He didn’t confirm that during our discussion.
Russian mob took a BATH on this fight. An absolute BEATING.Comment by Hitman932 on 07-09-2013
[QUOTE=edgarg;13541951]He could have quit at any time in the fight he wanted to. Do you think that he is a robot controlled by ......them...... [/QUOTE] So you're saying there is nobody deserving of blame aside from Lebedev for being too…Comment by Hitman932 on 07-09-2013
[QUOTE=Khmelnytsky;13542201]His eye was normal a couple days later 100% healthy and he was training again not long after that.[/QUOTE] Boxing has a long history of fighters lying about damage to their eyes in order to preserve their careers and future…Comment by KingTito on 07-08-2013
Sickening. No one should fight there if your own health isn't a concern.Comment by Khmelnytsky on 07-08-2013
[QUOTE=ShoulderRoll;13542178]Are you serious?[/QUOTE] His eye was normal a couple days later 100% healthy and he was training again not long after that.Post a Comment/View More User Comments (29)