by Ronnie Nathanielsz
WBC minimumweight mandatory challenger Denver Cuello will get his long-delayed shot at the world title in June.
That’s the word from American promoter Gary Shaw who spoke to BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard from Sydney, Australia where he is with Daniel Geale who fights Anthony Mundine for the IBF middleweight title tomorrow.
Shaw told us that he is working with Chinese promoter LuGang and talking to the people in Thailand about a title defense of Xiong Zhao Zhong in March in the United States but indicated he couldn’t provide details because “its still under negotiation.”
Pressed by the Standard as to what were the chances of mandatory challenger Cuello fighting the champion, Shaw said “he will probably fight the champion right around June” which is the time frame given promoter Aljoe Jaro by WBC president Don Jose Sulaiman.
While Shaw didn’t release details of Zhong’s title defense, boxingscene.com quoted No.2 ranked Wanheng Menayothin’s manager Piyarat Wachirarattanawong who said "We have been informally approached by Gary but we have not yet discussed details."
He said Shaw “wants Wanheng to fight in the US but we have to look into details first."
Wanheng is undefeated with a record of 25-0 with 8 knockouts and is coming off a victory over Filipino journeyman Roilo Golez to retain his WBC international minimumweight title in Thailand last month.
The 30 year old Xiong won the vacant title with a unanimous twelve round decision over Mexico’s Javier Martinez Resendiz in Kunming, China last November 24 after Cuello’s manage granted Sulaiman’s request for the mandatory challenger to step aside for which he was paid $ 25,000.
The Thai manager of Menayothin said"If Wanheng beats Xiong, he must face Cuello in a mandatory fight" although he added “ it may be better to let Xiong take on Cuello first and then the winner meets Wanheng."
Tags: Denver Cuello