By Phil D. Jay
Former British cruiserweight champion Shane McPhilbin is hoping that new title holder Enzo Maccarinelli will give him a much talked about rematch in the wake of their controversial first meeting last week.
The 26 year-old, who held the title for just ten weeks after defeating Leon Williams, spoke to WBN on the back of Frank Warren’s calls for former world champion Maccarinelli to retire from the sport and revealed that a hearing to discuss the first round’s disappearing seconds is scheduled.
“I personally haven't spoke to the board but I do know that they are having a hearing about what happened in the fight and I put my trust in they will do the right thing,” McPhilbin told World Boxing News.
On Maccarinelli’s walking away from boxing, McPhilbin said: “I want a rematch so hopefully he'll have one more fight. I gave him the shot first time around so hopefully he'll repay the favour to me.”
McPhilbin, who reached a Prizefighter semi-final as a heavyweight before moving down to 200lbs, has had a much-deserved relaxation period following the twelve-round slugfest with the Swansea man and hopes to know more about his next outing shortly.
“I want to fight as soon as possible really,” he said.
“I have had a week off since the Maccainell fight but I will be back in training on Monday and will be ready for whatever opponent is put in front of me whether it is Enzo or not.”
Phil D. Jay covers boxing for worldboxingnews.netTags: Enzo Maccarinelli , Shane McPhilbin , Maccarinelli-McPhilbin , Maccarinelli vs McPhilbin