By Miguel Rivera
WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez has no interest in a rematch with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., acccording to the champion's manager Sampson Lewkowicz.
Last September in Las Vegas, Martinez dominated Chavez through eleven rounds, but saw himself hurt and put down in the twelfth. He won a one-sided decision to capture Chavez's title. After that match, Chavez tested positive for marijuana and saw himself suspended for several months.
Chavez returned last Saturday in California and won a controversial ten round decison over Bryan Vera. Chavez had planned to return as a super middleweight but he was unable to make the weight and the parties were forced to increase the limit to 173-pounds.
After last year's defeat, there had been serious discussion of a potential rematch between Chavez and Martinez. The Argentine boxer doubts Chavez will ever make the middleweight limit of 160-pounds and he doesn't feel the Mexican star is deserving of the opportunity.
"Martinez called me and said Chavez Jr. does not deserve a rematch. We know that he will not make the weight. But anyway, regardless of the weight, he does not deserve a rematch because he has no respect for the sport. Bryan Vera deserves Martinez more than Chavez. This does not mean that he is the most appropriate opponent, but he deserves it more. For Martinez, Vera is the official winner of that fight," Lewkowicz told Carlos Narvaez.