Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Scott Harrison Could Possibly Land Burns-Mitchell Winner

Promoter Frank Warren has given Scott Harrison genuine hope that he could return to world title action by fighting the winner of Saturday's contest between Ricky Burns and Kevin Mitchell.

Former world champion Harrison will box on the undercard of the WBO lightweight title fight in Glasgow in only his second bout in almost seven years.

The 34-year-old spent time in a Spanish jail for assault after his career was thrown off course amid personal and alcohol problems.

The Scot gave up his WBO featherweight title in 2006 after failing to make the weight for a defence and fought a long battle to regain his licence, before returning to the ring in June with a fourth-round stoppage against Hungarian teenager Gyorgy Mizsei Jr.

Warren had appeared to end his working relationship with Harrison years ago but the pair were reunited on Thursday at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre to promote Saturday's show.

And there was encouragement for the Cambuslang fighter as he bids to return to the big time.

Warren said: "We have got Scott Harrison, former undefeated world champion, on the card having his second fight back.

"Who knows, if he does what he thinks he can do, and we will see, he could end up fighting the winner of these two guys. And what a fight that would be.

"But that's something that we will see what happens over his next couple of fights."

Harrison firmly believes he can get back to his best after stepping up to lightweight.

Harrison, who is scheduled to fight an unnamed opponent, said: "It's going to be a cracking fight between Ricky and Kevin Mitchell.

"Hopefully in the next fight after this one I will fight the winner, as Frank Warren says. I will know in the next two fights so hopefully that will happen.

"The first fight couldn't have gone any better. Training was perfect, the fight went well, after the fight, everything.

"It was a good night, I hadn't boxed in seven years. I had been in prison for three-and-a-half years so to get back in front of the fans again was a dream come true.

"I won my first world title when I was 25. I'm now nearly 35. I was suspended for five years.

"Obviously Saturday night is a big occasion. I had 11 world title fights and to be back in about it again, I'm looking forward to the future.

"I'm buzzing but eight to 10 round fights don't really get me up for it. I need world title fights."

Meanwhile, Burns' manager, Alex Morrison, has succeeded in removing Terry O'Connor as a judge for the world title contest following discussions with the British Boxing Board of Control.

Phil Edwards was initially pencilled in as the referee but the WBO and BBBofC confirmed today he will now join Richard James Davies and Dave Parris as the ringside scorers with O'Connor in the middle.

Morrison said: "I wasn't happy with one of the judges. He is now the referee.

"He has made poor decisions before against Scots, John Simpson and Brian Carr."

But Coatbridge fighter Burns shrugged off any concerns about the referee and judges, who are all English, as he prepares to face his Dagenham opponent.

He said: "As long as we go out and stick to what we have been training to do, I'm always a believer that whatever happens on the night is going to happen.

"I know I have done all I can and the best man will win on the night."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by rampant on 09-21-2012

Sounds like a typical Warren match up!

Comment by gmc_rfc_06 on 09-21-2012

P!ss off. He's done nothing to deserve a fight for the British title let alone a world title.

Comment by D-MiZe on 09-21-2012

Whoever wins, Harrison loses. :lol1: I can't see him fighting the winner more likely the loser and even then, he'll be despatched of comfortably.

Comment by Drunk Punch on 09-20-2012

I agree, why should Harrison leapfrog everyone else at LW to get a shot he doesn't deserve. He needs to prove himself at domestic level, then European, then work his way up to a shot at the belt like anyone…

Comment by Gypsy John Fury on 09-20-2012

Harrison doesn't deserve a shot at the winner. He's done nothing at lightweight and has been inside for years until recently.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (5)
Top Headlines Froch Laughs at Critics Who Say He "Ducked" Golovkin Fight Photo: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in Top Form, On Weight For Return Jermall Charlo says Julian Williams match is Jones-Hopkins reprise De La Hoya: After That Win, Saunders' Offer For Canelo Cut in Half! Photos: Terence Crawford Gets in Fight Week Work For Molina Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Orlando Salido Rematch in March? Verdejo to Face Southpaw TBA In 2/3 Return to Prep for Flanagan Joshua: If David Haye Beats Bellew, I'm Fine With Fighting Him! Sergey Lipinets Hopes Win Over Lenny Z Leads To a Title Shot Photos: Britsch Hits Mexico For War With Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Photos: Ray Beltran Hits Omaha For Mason Menard Clash Jacobs' Trainer: We're Ready To Take Gennady Golovkin's Belts Photos: Anthony Joshua, Eric Molina Hold Open Workouts Joe Smith Jr.: I'll Finish Off What Kovalev Started, KO Hopkins Bellew To Haye: Forget Joshua, You Are Getting Knocked Out! Klitschko vs. Joshua: Wladimir Embraces 80,000 at Wembley Lucian Bute vs. Eleider Alvarez Set For February 25, Quebec Holyfield, Barrera, Tapia Officially Announced For IBHOF Class Shakur Stevenson To Be Managed By James Prince, Andre Ward Antonio Vargas Making Pro Moves, Inks Managerial Deal Photos: Erik Skoglund, Timy Shala - Face To Face at Final Presser Abner Mares Addresses His 15-Month Layoff Entering Cuellar Fight Ellerbe Confident: On Jan. 14 We Come Back With Three Titles! Trainer: Lara Wants Bigger Fights, But Must Take Care of Family Wilder: Molina Might Be 'Bipolar,' But Has Heart to Upset Joshua Chisora, Whyte - Both Promise a Vicious Knockout Ending Tommy Ward, Super-Bantamweight, Inks Frank Warren Deal Haye: Right Now, I'd Knock Anthony Joshua Out in Three Rounds! Blackledge: Callum Smith Won't Make it To DeGale-Jack Winner Photos: Bernard Hopkins Clowns Media With 'Old Man' Disguise UFC Prez Makes it Clear That NO Approval For McGregor Boxing! Jeff Horn Could Land Bradley or Vargas, Says Bob Arum Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Returns To His Roots For His Last Career Stand De La Hoya: I Think Hopkins Did Better Than Ward Against Kovalev Photos: Top Rank, Duco Presser To Announce Joseph Parker Deal Freddie Roach: I'm Confident Cuellar Beats Mares - By Knockout Too Joseph Parker Will Be Promoted By Top Rank in America, China Photos: Bernard Hopkins Putting in Work For Final Career Fight Ward-Kovalev: $3.3 Million Live Gate From 10,066 Tickets Sold Abel Sanchez: Andy Ruiz Ready For 50-50 Fight With Joseph Parker
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement