By Rick Reeno
In a follow-up to an earlier article on BoxingScene.com, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer cleared the air on the December 8th conflict at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
A few days ago, Top Rank submitted a written request to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, alerting the governing body of their intentions to stage an event, headlined by eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao, on December 8th at the MGM Grand.
Last week, Schaefer advised BoxingScene that his company placed a hold on the MGM Grand, for December 8th, several months ago.
There appears to be a resolution.
Schaefer told BoxingScene on Thursday that he plans to step aside - if Pacquiao's return is finalized for December 8th.
However, he made it clear that if Top Rank plans to stage an event "with anyone not named Pacquiao" - then Golden Boy fully intends to move forward with a pay-per-view event on December 8th at the MGM Grand.
"If in fact Manny Pacquiao is going to fight on December 8th, then I'm not going to go and stand in Manny's way so he can't fight on December 8th - by insisting on keeping the date and so on. This is Manny Pacquiao, he's one of the best fighters and I'm not going to go and do that. Out of respect to Manhy Pacquiao and out of respect to the MGM, who know, and have confirmed - and I know they told [Top Rank CEO] Bob [Arum] and [NSAC Head] Keith [Kizer] and whoever else wants to know - that in fact we were holding this date for a long time because Pacquiao was going to fight on November the 10th and we were holding December 8th for a pay-per-view.," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.
"We were holding December 8th with the pay-per-view industry, no question about it. But, if Manny Pacquiao is going to fight, out of respect to Manny Pacquiao, and out of respect to the MGM, he should have that date. But, if Manny Pacquiao is not going to fight - I fully intend to have a pay-per-view event and a fight that night."
MARES-MORENO MOVES AGAIN
The super bantamweight clash between WBC champion Abner Mares (24-1, 13KOs), and challenger Anselmo Moreno (33-1-1, 12KOs), is on the move again.
It was originally scheduled for October 13th at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. To avoid a programming conflict with HBO's doubleheader, featuring Nonito Donaire vs. Toshiaki Nishioka and Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado, Golden Boy moved the card to October 27th at the Honda Center in Anaheim.
Because Pacquiao's potential return has been moved from November 10th to December 8th - Schaefer felt it was in the best interest of the event to move it to the November 10th date.
The card will now shift to the Staples Center in Los Angeles - with a Showtime televised tripleheader in the works.
Golden Boy is currently trying to finalize two other fights, which are potentially going to feature heavyweight contender Chrus Arreola (35-2, 30Kos) and the returning junior middleweight puncher Alfredo Angulo (20-2, 17KOs).
"We basically went with October 27th because back then it was November 10th that Pacquiao was going to fight. That obviously has changed. I've been holding Staples Center for November 10th for quite a while. I sort of anticipated that to happen [Pacquiao's date moving], to tell you the truth, and I was right. Therefore now we moved the show to November the 10th. It's better programming because we already have a huge event on October 20th. It's better to have some time in-between and November the 10th is the perfect date at Staples Center," Schaefer said.
"Abner Mares is a great young talent and a world champion and I'm sure Los Angeles will come out and support him. We are looking at potentially adding Chris Arreola, and the return of Alfredo Angulo on the card as well. It will be a terrific card."
ALEXANDER-BAILEY MAY CREATE HUGE QUADRUPLEHEADER
This coming Saturday in Las Vegas, Randall Bailey (43-7, 37KOs) was scheduled to defend his IBF welterweight title against Devon Alexander (23-1, 13KOs). Last week, Bailey suffered a back injury in training and the fight was postponed.
Schaefer tells BoxingScene that he's in the process of attempting to finalize that fight for Golden Boy's big event at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
The addition of Bailey-Alexander would transform the event into a Showtime televised quadrupleheader - with four championship fights.
In the main event, Danny Garcia defends his WBA/WBC 140-pounds titles against Erik Morales in a rematch of their March encounter. In the co-feature, Paulie Malignaggi makes the first defense of his WBA welterweight crown against Pablo Cesar Cano - and undefeated Peter Quillin will challenge WBO middleweight champion Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam.
"I'm currently finalizing that. What I think the perfect spot would be, because it would create a boxing extravaganza that we have not seen in a long time - is to put it as a quadrupleheader on October 20th at Barclay's opening. Then you would have four world championships [on the line] in one night, on a non-pay-per-view card. I don't remember when that's happened the last time, but I'm sure it was a long time ago. It will be a fitting place and a fitting celebration for Brooklyn to really bring big time boxing back to Brooklyn. That's what I'm working towards and I hope to have some updates, maybe as early as tomorrow," Schaefer said.Tags: Devon Alexander , Manny Pacquiao , Anselmo Moreno , Abner Mares , Richard Schaefer , Randall Bailey , Alexander-Bailey , Alexander vs Bailey , Mares-Moreno , Mares vs Moreno