Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Schaefer Expects Khan-Peterson To Become a No-Contest

By Terence Dooley

Richard Schaefer has told Sky Sports that he expects Amir Khan's fight with Lamont Peterson to be declared a no-contest in the coming days.  The furor over a ringside 'mystery man', later revealed to be Mustafa Ameen, an IBF official who attended the fight but was not on official business and was adjudged to be distracting judge George Hill, who gave the fight to Lamont by 112-113, was started by Khan via Twitter earlier this week and now looks to have finally turned the tide in the Bolton boxer's favor and should result in a rematch.

"His name is Mustafa Ameen and the IBF have confirmed to us his name, and that he's involved in an official capacity with the IBF," said Schaefer.  "However, he was not in Washington in an official IBF capacity, but the IBF asked the Washington commision to issue him a credential so that he could attend the fight.  We have been informed by the WBA that they will order an immediate rematch.  We received verbal confirmation and will get a written confirmation by Tuesday.  That means that no fighter can take an interim fight, that the next fight for Peterson would be a rematch."

Khan's team have complained long and hard about the result, with the blame oscilating between referee Joseph Cooper, the judges who gave the fight to Peterson, errors on the scorecards, the not-so-mystery man and the fact that Peterson was in his hometown, a claim tempered by the fact that it was a Golden Boy/Khan Promotions show.  Lost in all the confusion is the fact that Amir failed to fire on the night and kept commiting little fouls despite knowing the ref was on his case.

However, Amir has now managed to net himself a second bite of the cherry judging by the WBA's response, although if the fight is declared a NC the organization can strip Peterson of his titles as they did when James Toney's WBA heavyweight title fight with John Ruiz was declared a no-contest after Toney was found guilty of doping.  This case is different, unique in fact, so it remains to be seen how the WBA will handle it should the no-contest be declared, given their history they will probably create a new belt and name both men as champion or interim champions pending a rematch.  History and the WBA's enforcement of their rules suggests that a no-contest will result in the WBA title being handed back to Khan.

Ironically, if the fight was judges purely on what happened inside the ring you could give the decision to either man depending on your scoring perspective, was Amir's back pedaling effective?  Did Lamont land enough power shots to take the decision?  It left more questions than answers and now looks to be set for a return.  However, should Khan lose a close one the second time around there is every chance that GBP and the Bolton fighter's team may refuse to accept the decision after the precedent set by this fight.

Khan's other option was to praise his opponent for pulling off a shock win, give credit to the atmosphere created by the fans in DC and ask the people watching on HBO and around the world to call for a return due to the close nature of the fight, he instead opted to lurch from one PR disaster to the next.  Although you cannot argue with the bottom line, the fury and persistence of his complaints looks to have led to a rematch and possibly a dangerous precedent in the sport as powerful fighters backed by the big name organizations may now attempt to overturn any and every result that they disagree with, as Oscar De La Hoya attempted to do when refusing to accept his narrow defeat to Shane Mosley in their return contest.

Please send news and views to [email protected] or Twitter @Terryboxing.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Lorily on 01-08-2012

If there was any recent fight that deserved to be over turned in to a NC, it was the Lara/Williams fight. They found that the Judges [I]themselves[/I] were incompetent enough to suspend them all FFS (including the one who had…

Comment by Leohappy on 01-08-2012

they won't strip peterson come on.... that would be one of the biggest bull****s in boxing history. multiple judges and split decisions exist in pro boxing for a reason.

Comment by big paulie on 01-08-2012

Fukk it overturn Marquez Pac 3 and Mayweather Castillo 1 and the hundreds of close fights in between while your at it. What a joke this fight wasnt even controversial close yes but not controversial. Schaefer starting to annoy me…

Comment by Money_May on 01-07-2012

No way should it be a no contest, but there should be a rematch. A lot of butthurt people in this thread though. One thing to say WAHHHHHHHHHHH :lol1: :lol1:

Comment by Hougigo on 01-07-2012

[QUOTE=voneric;11640296][B]If it was changed to a No Contest, how much you wanna bet Khan will not give Peterson a rematch?[/B] I have seen bad decisions before and the fight was not that Controversial. There were plenty of Warnings and The…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (35)
Top Headlines Juan Manuel Marquez Return Now in Play For August 19 Horn Smiles: I'll Be Looking To Land Marquez Shot on Pacquiao! Diego Chaves: I Want Brandon Rios Again, I Deserve a Rematch SHO's Espinoza: Broner-Garcia is Biggest Non-PPV Fight of Summer Hopkins: Canelo Will Beat Golovkin EASIER Than Most Think! Frank Warren: Ward-Kovalev Ending Unsatisfactory, Trilogy Needed Vijender Singh vs. Zulpikar Maimaitiali Set For High Stakes Battle Natasha Jonas Impressive in Her Pro Debut in Newcastle Mike Jimenez Barely Beats Pryor, Findley Drills Donovan George Hearn: Great Offer Made To Wilder, Reluctant To Face Whyte Roach: I Once Thought Golovkin Kills Canelo - Now It's Dead Even Anthony Yigit vs. Sandor Martin Deal Reached, Purse Bid is Off Mohamed Rodriguez Shocks Manuel Mendez With Knockout Win Why Mayweather-McGregor Cannot Hurt Boxing De La Hoya: Canelo Has To Knock Golovkin Out! Photo: Kermit Cintron, Tyrone Brunson Ready For Battle De La Hoya: Golovkin Will Enter Ring First - NOT Canelo Mayweather Trainer Concerned: McGregor Has Crazy, Weird Power Onggocan Stops Pantilgan in Nine To Retain IBF Youth Belt Jonas, Saunders, Hall, Kelly, Fowler Win Bouts in Newcastle Canelo: Mayweather's Style Doesn't Make For Attractive Fights Seven British Boxers Head To Finals in Euro Championships Canelo: I Have To Be Smart, Elusive, Not Stand in Front of GGG Loeffler on The Venue Hunt For HBO Super Flyweight Triple Hearn: Ward-Kovalev Stopped Too Early - But Kovalev Was Done McGregor's Coach: Many Respected Boxers Have Offered Help Manny Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn Picked Up By BoxNation Taras Shelestyuk Returns on 'Locked and Loaded' - July 1 Jermain Taylor is Broke, Facing Multiple Lawsuits Bryant Jennings, Top Rank Officially Announce Promotional Deal World Boxing Super Series - Live Draft on July 8 Hearn: Ward-Kovalev Not Promoted Right, I Would've Smashed It! Canelo-Golovkin: There Isn't Any Legitimate Bad Blood Alan Sanchez Faces Miguel Huerta in Woodland, California SHO's Espinoza: All Early Bets on McGregor To Beat Mayweather De La Hoya: Canelo-Golovkin Winner is No. 1 Pound-for-Pound Hopkins: Kovalev Stoppage Was Legit, Ward Wore Him Down George Groves Daring Zeuge To Enter World Boxing Super Series Fenech Backs Horn To Shock Pacquiao in History Making Fight Skoglund, Nielsen Brothers Could Be in Line For WBSS Tourney
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement