By Keith Idec
Alfredo Angulo’s new promoters at Golden Boy Promotions aren’t certain when HBO or Showtime will have another date available for the entertaining junior middleweight contender, nor are they sure if he’ll be able to fight in the United States anytime soon.
They do, however, want to keep Angulo active now that he has emphatically ended a 13-month layoff.
“We’ll be sitting down with his team in the coming days and we’ll see what’s next for him,” said Richard Schaefer, Golden Boy’s chief executive officer.
Schaefer said Angulo definitely will fight again before the end of this year. The caliber of opponent he’ll face in that bout won’t be determined, though, until they learn whether HBO or Showtime will be able to televise his next bout.
“Obviously, it depends on the money,” Schaefer said. “If we can secure TV money in the United States and have one of the networks go down there [to Mexico], then yes [he’ll participate in a higher-profile fight]. If that’s not the case, then no. The big money comes from the U.S. TV networks, if Showtime or HBO get involved. But if they don’t, you need to secure the financing to get a big fight going.”
Angulo’s first-round destruction of Joseph Gomez (17-5-1, 8 KOs) was televised by ESPN Deportes on Saturday night from Mexicali, Mexico, Angulo’s hometown. His victory over Gomez, of Bloomfield, N.M., was Angulo’s first fight since he stopped former WBA junior middleweight champ Joachim Alcine (32-2-1, 19 KOs) in the first round of their July 2010 bout in Rancho Mirage, Calif.
“He looked very good, very sharp, especially coming off such a long layoff,” Schaefer said. “Some people might say, ‘Well, the opponent was tailor-made.’ But still, you have to go in there and fight. He looked good.”
The fight took place in Mexicali because Angulo’s immigration issues have prevented him from re-entering the United States. Angulo (20-1, 17 KOs) was reportedly deported last year because his visa expired, but attorneys are trying to get him back in the United States, from which most HBO and Showtime cards disseminate.
“It’s not easy,” Schaefer said. “But we have a good legal team, which is working for him on it. So we’ll see. I don’t really know what the final outcome is going to be, but we certainly are going to make a very strong case.”
Golden Boy Promotions completed the purchase of Angulo’s contract from former promoter Gary Shaw two weeks ago. Oscar De La Hoya’s company promotes shows in Mexico pretty regularly, so keeping Angulo active shouldn’t be difficult, even if he isn’t allowed to return to the United States.
Keith Idec covers boxing for The Record and Herald News, of Woodland Park, NJ., and BoxingScene.com.Tags: Richard Schaefer , Alfredo Angulo