By Rick Reeno
The big rematch between former welterweight champions Andre Berto and Victor Ortiz is now in jeopardy of being postponed. Berto, while training at the Ten Goose Gym in Van Nuys, California, injured his arm on Monday. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who promotes Ortiz (29-3-2, 22KOs), advised BoxingScene.com that Berto (28-1, 22KOs) is at the hospital getting an MRI exam on his injured arm. Schaefer is waiting to get more information on the severity of the injury.
"We have no update. We have only been told that he is undergoing an MRI exam and that we will be informed on the results later. No news so far," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.
Their Showtime televised rematch is scheduled to take place on February 11th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. They first clashed on April 16th at the Foxwoods Resort and Casino in Mashantucket, Conn. Both boxers were knocked down twice in a twelve round brawl. Ortiz won a twelve round unanimous decision.