Advertisement
Advertisement

Saunders vs. Ryder is Heading Back To Purse Bids

By Terence Dooley

The British middleweight title fight between Hatfield's Billy Joe Saunders and mandatory challenger John Ryder has been sent out to 'short term purse bids', according to today's BBBoC British Championship Circular.  Saunders, 17-0 (10), must now wait until next Wednesday (the 22nd) for further news of his second defence after the Board set a fresh deadline for the bids — the contest itself has to take place by the end of September.

Eddie Hearn, who promotes the 14-0 (8) Ryder, was announced as the winner of the original purse bids process in last week's British Championship Circular, which was published last Wednesday, but will now have to make a fresh bid for the bout.  The Board did not include a reason for the resubmission of bids.

Saunders, 23, is promoted by Frank Warren; he out-pointed Nick Blackwell in December to win the vacant title then repeated the trick against Matthew Hall in his first defence.  His mandated fight with Ryder, 24, is the pick of the upcoming British title action — both men are undefeated and each wants to move on to bigger things.  The Islington-based challenger won't give Saunders an easy ride; Ryder earned his shot by stopping Eamonn O'Kane by eighth-round TKO in December.  Once it is finally signed, sealed and delivered, the fight will surely be one of the highlights of 2013.

Please send news and views to [email protected] or Twitter @Terryboxing.

Tags:
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Upton Brothers Leave Ricky Hatton Over "Turbulent Private Life" Dillian Whyte, Dereck Chisora Could Collide in December Smith Backs Froch: Kovalev is Best Pound For Pound Fighter! Amir Khan Says Land For Boxing Academy is Now in Dispute Team USA: Olympic Postmortem De La Hoya on Canelo-GGG: We Can't Afford To Wait Beyond 2017 Chocolatito: Cuadras Talks A lot, But I'll Prove it in The Ring! Golovkin: No Big Fights at 168, I Make 160 Easy - I'm Not Big 160 Juanma: Business Opportunity Made Me Return, Not Vazquez Morrison, Golub, Baranchyk, Peterkin Head To 9/23 ShoBox Robert Guerrero: I'm Ready For a World Title Shot Right Now! Photos: Gennady Golovkin, Roman Gonzalez Big Bear Media Day Saunders Still a Possibility for Canelo, Golden Boy Focused on Smith Jon Fernandez, Jose Roman Ink Pacts With Lou DiBella De La Hoya: Canelo a 154-Pounder, Will Fight Golovkin When Ready! Jarrell Miller's Promoter: He's Ready For Any World Champion Canelo: Margarito Fight Will NEVER Happen, He Should Retire Ramiro Carrillo, Achour Esho Return on October 1, UIC Pavilion Joshuanthony Ortiz, Edgardo Laboy Ink Pacts With Miguel Cotto Canelo Admits Move To 160 is Likely Next For His Career Mason Menard Puts a Target on The Back of Terry Flanagan Anthony Joshua-David Price Ruled Out For The Fall By Hearn James Kirkland Arrested Over Child Support Beef Photos: Anthony Crolla, Jorge Linares Go Face To Face Photos: Glowacki, Usyk - Go Face To Face at Open Workouts Jessie Vargas: "On November 5th I Will Shut The Critics Up!" Daniel Jacobs: Brook Just Too Small To Survive Against Golovkin Golovkin Laughs at Froch, Eubank: Those Clowns Won't Fight Me! J'Leon Love Will Face Dashon Johnson on September 16 Marlon Tapales vs. Paul Butler in The Works For The Fall De La Hoya: Canelo-Smith Will Have Up To 60,000 Fans at Venue! Frampton: The UK Has 14 World Champions - Not All Are Legit! Gerard Carroll To Fight Twice In Eight Days De La Hoya: Canelo-Golovkin Won't Take 6 Years, But Not Now Daniel Geale vs. Renold Quinlan, Vacant IBO 168 Belt on 10/14 Tom Brown Reflects on The Lost Art of Building a Fighter Amir Khan Plans To Fight in January, May and December Caleb Plant Dominates De Angel in PBC on FS1 Main Event Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Hirotsugu Yamamoto Card Coming Together Canelo-Smith on Pace To Outdo Pacquiao, Says Golden Boy VP
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement