By Miguel Rivera
Former two-division world champion Orlando Salido, 36-years-old, is hoping to get a rematch with Vasyl Lomachenko by the end of the year.
As BoxingScene.com reported last week, Salido is going to break a near one year layoff on May 27 in Mexico, in a ten round bout against Amphon Suriyo.
Salido (43-13-4, 30 KOs) has been out of the ring since going to a twelve round draw in a wild war with then WBC world champion Francisco Vargas in June 2016.
Lomachenko (8-1, 6 KOs), who holds the WBO super featherweight title, suffered his first and only pro defeat to Salido in March of 2014 at the Alamodome of San Antonio.
After the fight, which had the vacant WBO featherweight crown at stake, Lomachenko and his handlers complained that Salido was never penalized for numerous low blows, and they also brought up the issue of Salido failing to make weight for the contest.
"The idea is to shake off the rust against Suriyo and if all goes well, fight against Vasyl Lomachenko later in the year and sort things out once and for all with that fight," said Salido's adviser Sean Gibbons to ESPN Deportes.
"Before he can fight against Lomachenko, he needs to fight. Orlando has not had a fight back home in a few years, so the timing was right to have a fight at home. We think the timing is right for the fight against Lomachenko. Our goal is to fight May 27, Orlando shakes off the rust and then we reach an agreement with Top Rank for a fight against Lomachenko."
"Orlando really wants a rematch against Lomachenko. He wants it financially and also wants it for pride. He is tired of hearing about low blows, the weight, the referee ... No more excuses. Everybody says that Lomachenko is a different fighter now, but Orlando feels that even if Lomachenko has improved he has the right plan to beat him again."