Salgado vs. Mendez Rematch Set For March 2

By Jake Donovan

Terms have been reached for Juan Carlos Salgado and Argenis Mendez to proceed with their planned rematch, thus avoiding a purse bid and potential delay.

The rematch will take place on March 2. A location has yet to be determined, as promoters are still finding a home for the show, which is topped by a heavyweight title elimination bout between Chris Arreola facing Bermane Stiverne. It has not yet been decided whether Salgado-Mendez II will be added to the HBO broadcast for that evening.

Andre Ward was originally scheduled to defend his lineal super middleweight crown against former middleweight king Kelly Pavlik in the headliner. An injury suffered in training camp forced Ward off of the show, as he is scheduled to undergo shoulder surgery. 

The two sides failed to strike a deal by the December 28 deadline, which forced the IBF to schedule a purse bid hearing for the 130 lb title fight. A hearing was scheduled for January 10 but a last minute deal was struck on Wednesday evening.

Salgado became a two-time champ after beating Mendez in a vacant title fight in his native Mexico in Sept. 2011. A late rally and a 12th round knockdown by Mendez created drama, but proved too little too late in the end.

Salgado has since defended three times, including a points win over Jonathan Barros last summer in his most recent defense. His first reign - which came with a stunning 1st round knockout of then-unbeaten Jorge Linares in Oct. '09 - ended just three months later, suffering a 12th round stoppage against Takashi Uchiyama, who still reigns as champ and is regarded as the best 130 lb. fighter in the world today.

Mendez earned the mandatory title shot after soundly outpointing Martin Honorio in their rematch last July. Mendez previously defeated Honorio by majority decision in California in May '10 to earn his first title shot, which came more than a year later.

Salgado attempted to secure an optional defense against Yuriorkis Gamboa, which was targeted for last November. Those plans were thwarted when Gamboa's promotional status was compromised in the wake of the disbanding of TMT Promotions, following a well-publicized falling out between 50 Cent and Floyd Mayweather.

The November date was crucial, as Salgado only had seven months from the time of his last mandatory title defense - a points win over Honorio last April 28 - to get in an optional fight. When that window closed, Salgado was forced to engage in negotiations with Mendez' camp.

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Follow Jake on Twitter: @JakeNDaBox

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Crawford's Opponent in Place, Going To Contracts, Says Arum Video: Robert Garcia on Brandon Rios, Mares-Cuellar, More Pacquiao vs. Vargas: No Delay Broadcast of PPV, Says Arum Video: Richard Schaefer Talks Return, Mayweather, Canelo-GGG Roach: Golovkin May Need To Jump To 175 For More Recognition Photos: Cuellar, Mares Go Face To Face at Los Angeles Presser Parker's Promoter Withdraws Funding Bid For Andy Ruiz Bout DeGale Confident That He'll Beat, Expose Weaknesses in Golovkin Roach Admits: Crawford is NOT My Favorite Fight For Pacquiao Schaefer: I Couldn't Be Coming Back With a Better Fight Card Crawford To Face PBC Fighter Next? Then Pacquiao in 2017? Roach: Pacquiao is Too Big, Lomachenko is Not That Good Javier Fortuna vs. Omar Douglas Camp Notes Pacquiao vs. Lomachenko is The Fight Arum Wants To Make Most Terry Flanagan vs. Orlando Cruz on November 26, Motorpoint Roach: Golden Boy Protecting Their 'Cash Cow' From Golovkin John Molina Wants to Dethrone 140 Kingpin Terence Crawford Schaefer Explains Ringstar Business Model, PBC Relationship Roach Still Wants Pacquiao vs. Canelo: I Love That Fight! Parker's Promoter Still Pushing To Keep Ruiz Fight in Auckland Manny Pacquiao: I Need a Convincing Win To Prove I'm Still Here Scott Quigg Makes Featherweight Debut on Anthony Joshua Card Pacquiao vs. Vargas Lands on BoxNation Katie Taylor Inks Promotional With Eddie Hearn, Pro Debut Set Oscar De La Hoya: 2016 is Maybe The Worst Year For Boxing Roach: I Don't Think Andre Ward is The Fighter He Used To Be Video: Freddie Roach Talks Golovkin, Kovalev vs. Ward, More Manny Pacquiao, Freddie Roach Have Retirement Pact in Place Video: Justin Fortune Discusses The Heavyweight Division Juan Manuel Lopez vs. Wilfredo Vazquez Jr: Sure, Why Not Video: Bob Arum Talks Schaefer, Trump, King, UFC, More Arum: I Would NEVER Do Pacquiao vs. Golovkin - It Was a Joke! Video: Manny Pacquiao Putting in Work For Vargas Title Clash Video: Freddie Roach on Thurman-Garcia, Lebedev-Gassiev, More Mason Menard's Fight Now Off Due To Bookkeeping Issue Molina Still Wants Danny Garcia Fight: He Has Holes in His Armor Video: Manny Pacquiao Talks Camp, Retirement, Vargas, More Demetrius Andrade Very Motivated as Jack Culcay Clash Nears Photos: Manny Pacquiao Putting in Work at Wild Card Gym Canelo Says The Ball is in Golovkin's Court: Accept The Offer!

Latest Active Forum Threads