Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Salgado, Sanabria Co-Headline August 4 Televisa Show

By Jake Donovan

Very little has been lost in the career of Alejandro Sanabria, even in the wake of being denied a lightweight title shot.  The fallout from a targeted July 28 showdown with Antonio DeMarco proved to be minimal, as Sanabria’s ring return is pushed back a week to August 4.

The lightweight contender will appear on the undercard of a Televisa telecast headlined by 130 lb. titlist Juan Carlos Salgado in a voluntary defense. While nothing is set in stone regarding the future, there is motivation behind the two fighters being showcased on the same card.

“If both fighters win, then a possible showdown between them will be secured in Mexico,” suggests promoter Oswaldo Kuchle, though also revealing that they’re not putting all of their eggs in one basket. “We have also spoken with Eric Gomez (Golden Boy Promotions Vice President and matchmaker) to challenge Adrien Broner if he beats Vicente Escobedo.

“So one thing is for sure; Alejandro Sanabria will challenge for a world title in any organization.”

The last line is a parting shot at the WBC, with whom Kuchle has a bit of history. The promoter has an open lawsuit against the sanctioning body over its mishandling of events in the aftermath of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr’s middleweight title defense against Marco Antonio Rubio. Post-fight drug tests were not administered, despite assurances made to Kuchle – who represents Rubio – throughout the promotion and during the pre-fight meeting.

A ripple effect was felt in his Promociones del Pueblo promotional company, namely with Sanabria (32-1-1, 24KO) who relinquished his silver title earlier in the year. The decision came in the aftermath of the alphabet organization refusing to sanction his April fight with Batweg Bangoyan, a move that nearly resulted in the show’s local promoter pulling the bout from the card altogether.

The fight indeed went on as planned, just without the blessing of the WBC. The string of events outside the ring ultimately cost Sanabria a guaranteed mandatory shot at DeMarco.

Mandatory status was a trump card Sanabria could’ve easily played in the wake of Jorge Linares – who was being groomed for a July 7 rematch with DeMarco – suffering a shocking 2nd round knockout loss to Sergio Thompson. That fight took place in another part of Mexico on the same night Sanabria decisioned Bangoyan.

The next logical step should have been a DeMarco-Sanabria showdown, but the politics of the sport contributed to that one falling apart altogether.

Life goes on for Sanabria, who can look forward to at least two more ring appearances before the year is out. More important, that the latter – assuming he wins on August 4 – could very well serve as a long elusive shot at a title.

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxingscene.com. Follow Jake on Twitter: @JakeNDaBox

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines McGregor: I'm Superior To Mayweather, He Won't Be Prepared! News: Julian Rodriguez, LaRon Mitchell, Evander Holyfield, More McGregor on How Mayweather First Got on His Radar Years Ago Photos: Callum Smith Grinding Hard For Erik Skoglund Clash Rios Expects Fireworks, Ready To Shock Rey Vargas For WBC Belt McGregor: I Whooped One Face of Boxing, Now I'll Whoop Another Mayweather Vows 'A lot More Excitement' Than Pacquiao Fight McGregor: F*** Mayweather's Defense, I Know How to Crack Code Eubank Jr: Mayweather-McGregor is a Once in a Lifetime Fight McGregor: This is NOT Even Close To My Toughest Challenge Ever Rex Tso Ready To Raise His Level For Kohei Kono Showdown Dana White Fires Back, Lashes Out at "Senile F***" Bob Arum McGregor: I Told Malignaggi - 'You Look Stupid, Get Over The Photo' Edis Tatli, Francesco Patera Rematch Agreement is Reached Cunningham: I'm Prepared To Do Whatever To Get The Job Done Klitschko Praises Floyd, Says McGregor Reminds Him of Fight Club Marciano's Son: Mayweather Should Not Be 50-0 With Win! Video: Joe Cortez Discusses Mayweather vs. McGregor, More Payano Easily Out-Boxes Santiago, Wins Unanimous Decision Ladarius Miller Beats Jamel Herring; Ashley Theophane Loses Photos: Jack-Cleverly, Cunningham-Tabiti - FaceOffs at T-Mobile Video: Malignaggi Discusses Conor McGregor Confrontation Photos: Mayweather, McGregor - Grand Arrivals at T-Mobile McGregor: Mayweather Praying That I’m Struggling to Make Weight Video: McGregor, Malignaggi Nearly Erupt at T-Mobile Arena McGregor, Malignaggi in Heated Confrontation at Grand Arrivals Video: Mayweather, McGregor Camps Near Scuffle at T-Mobile Cleverly Feels Win Over Badou Jack Will Secure Andre Ward Shot Mayweather Believes McGregor is Struggling To Make Weight Carl Frampton is Urged To Sign Promotional With Eddie Hearn Crawford-Indongo Telecast Averaged 965,000 Viewers on ESPN Former Sparring Partner Admits McGregor Was Not Hard To Hit Eubank Jr: Mayweather Will Be More Aggressive, Will Go For KO Shane McGuigan Removes Carl Frampton From Twitter Bio Mayweather-McGregor News; Burnett-Zhanat Zhakiyanov, More TMT's DeJuan Blake: McGregor is Awkward, Mayweather is Ready Paul Hyland vs Stephen Ormond on October 21 in Belfast Jeff Horn: I'd Fight Mayweather Like Maidana Did - But Consistent! Cotto Unfazed By All the Attention Paid to Mayweather-McGregor NSAC Head: McGregor is Younger, Stronger, Longer, Big Puncher
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement