By Francisco Salazar
Some news and notes regarding fighters from Southern California or events taking place in the area:
- Look for Ronny Rios to fight sometime in September and not on August 24th, according to manager Frank Espinoza. It was earlier reported Rios was going to fight on the Golden Boy Promotions undercard taking place at the Stubhub (formerly the Home Depot) Center on August 24th, but it looks like Rios will fight the following month.
Rios is coming off a sixth round stoppage victory Leonilo Miranda last month at the same venue. Prior to that bout, Rios won a 10 round unanimous decision over Rico Ramos on January 11th.
Espinoza did confirm unbeaten junior welterweight Antonio Orozco will fight on the card.
Also, unbeaten featherweight Julian Ramirez (8-0, 5 KOs) is also scheduled to return on the card. The fighter from East Los Angeles is managed by Joel De La Hoya.
- Speaking of August 24th, due to the strong turnout this past Saturday, boxing will return to the Hollywood Park Casino in Hollywood. The main event showcased Alejandro Perez stopping Edgar Riovalle in the seventh round. Look for UniMas to televise the card again.
- Welterweight Artemio Reyes (19-2, 15 KOs) will return to the ring on July 26th at the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario. Reyes looks like he will take on Sergio Perez (28-14, 19 KOs) in a scheduled eight round bout. Also on the card will be Sindy Amador taking on 43-year-old Jolene Blackshear in an eight round bout.
For tickets and information to the Thompson Boxing Promotions card, call (714) 935-0900.
- Boxing returns to Americas Finest City (San Diego) on July 26th at the Four Points Sheraton Hotel. In the scheduled six round main event, unbeaten junior welterweight Emmanuel Robles (8-0-1, 3 KOs) will take on an opponent to be announced. Also slated to see action Maurice Hooker (9-0-1, 7 KOs) and Leon Spinks III (5-0-1, 3 KOs) in separate bouts.
For tickets and information, go to bobbydpresents.net and click on the Tickets link.
- Last Friday night, Top Players Promotions and the Players Casino co-promoted their first event at the Fairgrounds in Ventura, CA. The near sellout crowd enjoyed mostly evenly-matched bouts and a decent main event between Maxim Vlasov and Mark Suarez.
While there are numerous gyms in the Oxnard/ Ventura area, actual fight cards have been few and far between. Top Players Promotions and the Players Casino are looking to promote another card in November.
- Looks like welterweight contender Chris Van Heerden of South Africa will move to Southern California. After wins over Sebastian Lujan and Matthew Hatton, Van Heerden (19-1, 15 KOs) is looking to get the most out of his career and like others before him, a move to Southern California is in his future. Word is he may be sparring with Brandon Rios to prepare him for his fight against Manny Pacquiao.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for Boxingscene.com since September and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. He also covers boxing for the Ventura County (CA) Star. He could be reached by email at email@example.com or on twitter at Salazar_soccer Tags: Ronny Rios , Artemio Reyes , Antonio Orozco , Chris Van Heerden