by David P. Greisman
Robert Guerrero came in at 152 pounds this past weekend at a weigh-in mandated by the World Boxing Council, giving the sanctioning body’s interim welterweight titleholder six days to lose five pounds.
Guerrero’s weight was certified on Saturday, Nov. 17, by Rudy Tellez, according to information WBC official William Boodhoo provided to BoxingScene.com.
Guerrero will be facing two-time 147-pound titleholder Andre Berto, headlining an HBO broadcast on Nov. 24 from the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, Calif.
“We are still awaiting the weight of Andre Berto,” Boodhoo said via email on Monday evening.
The maximum either fighter could have been is 154 pounds. The WBC’s 7-day weigh-in requires fighters to be within 5 percent of what they must be for their bout.
The WBC did not require its usual weigh-ins done about a month before bouts.
“I received the information for this bout much too late to be able to inform them and/or to arrange a 30-day weigh-in,” Boodhoo told BoxingScene earlier in November.
The fighters would have needed to be within 10 percent of what they must be for their bout.
Guerrero is coming off his welterweight debut, a unanimous decision win in July over Selcuk Aydin that marked the former 126- and 130-pound titleholder’s first time in the ring in more than a year. The 29-year-old picked up the WBC’s interim belt with that victory — Floyd Mayweather Jr. won the “full” WBC title from Victor Ortiz in September 2011 — bringing Guerrero’s record to 30-1-1 with 18 knockouts and 2 no decisions.
Berto hasn’t fought in more than a year — his last appearance was a stoppage of Jan Zaveck in September 2011. He was to have fought a rematch with Ortiz earlier this year, but that bout was canceled when Berto tested positive for a performance enhancing drug called nandrolone. The 29-year-old is 28-1 with 22 knockouts.
David P. Greisman is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America. Follow David on Twitter @fightingwords2 or send questions/comments via email at [email protected]