Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Rigondeaux-Marroquin is Back On, More Legal Drama

By Rick Reeno

After it was on, and then off, and then on and then off - but it now appears that WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo "El Chacal" Rigondeaux (10-0, 8 KOs) will defend his title against Roberto Marroquin (22-1, 15 KOs) on the undercard of the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Sergio Martinez HBO Pay-Per-View, taking place this Saturday at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

A few weeks ago, a Circuit Court in Miami enjoined Rigondeaux from engaging in any bout not approved by his manager, Gary Hyde, and also enjoined Rigondeaux from participating in the Marroquin fight. Rigondeaux's lawyer filed an emergency motion seeking a stay of the injunction - but that motion was denied on August 28th.

David Marroso, a senior attorney with the Los Angeles-based O'Melveny and Myers law firm, which represents the interests of Top Rank - has confirmed to BoxingScene that Hyde has approved the fight between Rigondeaux and Marroquin. The Nevada State Atheltic Commission has been notified.

"Gary Hyde has approved Guillermo Rigondeaux's participation in the bout against Marroquin on September 15th and that is all that is necessary for him to participate - so he is back on," Marroso said to BoxingScene.com.

Back when the case was first filed, Patrick English, who is Hyde's personal attorney, advised BoxingScene that Hyde's contract with Rigondeaux grants him the authority to approve and/or reject the Cuban fighter's opponents. Hyde alleged that Rigondeaux refused to communicate on the matter and went around his back to make a deal with Top Rank for the bout with Marroquin. Top Rank was never a party to the legal battle between Hyde and Rigondeaux.

However, as we previously reported, there were two separate lawsuits filed in connection to the Rigondeaux vs. Marroquin bout. Both cases were filed in the Miami-Dade County courthouse in Florida.

The second lawsuit was filed by Black, Srebnick, Kornspan & Stumpf on behalf of Boris Arencibia, owner of Caribe Promotions, against Rigondeaux and Top Rank.

Arencibia's case is being handled by Jared Lopez, a partner in Black, Srebnick, Kornspan & Stumpf.

Lopez has advised BoxingScene that Caribe has requested an emergency hearing, which the Circuit Court scheduled for September 12 in Miami, to prevent the Rigondeaux fight from moving forward. Lopez doesn't know the details of the agreement reached between Rigondeaux, Top Rank and Hyde - but states that there wasn't an agreement reached with Caribe. A subpoena has been served on Rigondeaux, directing him to testify at this hearing.

Marroso confirmed that Caribe is attempting to prevent the fight from moving forward, but the attorney appears confident that Rigondeaux will be allowed to move forward with his fight.

"Yes it's true that Caribe is now going to come in and try to stop the fight - not withstanding that Top Rank is promoting it, the fighter wants to participate in it and the manager has approved of the deal," Marroso said. "Caribe wants to step in and say 'no, I'm the promoter of Guillermo Rigondeaux and he may not participate.'"

"The facts are - we've got the fighter, the manager and the agreed, admitted promoter [Top Rank] - all agreeing to this fight - and a secondary promoter, who hasn't promoted any fights to my knowledge, ever, but certainly not in years for this kid - trying to stop it. We'll see what the court does. The former injunction which was preventing Rigondeaux from fighting is no longer prohibiting him, because the injunction said Rigondeaux could not participate unless Hyde approves - and Hyde has approved." 

Back when this particular case was filed, Lopez advised BoxingScene that his client sued Rigondeaux for breach of contract, claiming the boxer is still bound to an existing agreement that makes Caribe Promotions the "exclusive worldwide promoter for Rigodeaux's fights," and that Rigondeaux went forward with a planned fight against Marroquin without their involvement. There is a claim of tortious interference against Top Rank because they allegedly signed Rigondeaux-Marroquin without the involvement of Caribe.

Top Rank signed Rigondeaux in 2010 to a two-year agreement. Caribe was involved in that deal as a co-promoter and receives monetary compensation in connection to Rigondeaux's fights. Caribe is claiming the agreement between Top Rank and Rigondeaux expired in July of 2012 and no extension had ever been agreed upon between the three parties. Caribe is making the claim for interference because they believe their company is the sole promoter of Rigondeaux because Top Rank's deal allegedly expired.

A source with knowledge of the contracts disagrees with Caribe's position, advising BoxingScene that Top Rank's agreement with Rigondeaux has not expired. The contract was indeed a two-year term, but the agreement was reportedly initiated by the date of Rigondeaux's first fight under the Top Rank banner - and not the July date when Rigondeaux signed the actual agreement. Rigondeaux's first fight under the Top Rank banner took place on either August 21 or November 13 in 2010 - but either way if those facts are correct then the interference claim would be fully ruled out.

Furthermore, based on the contract agreement between the three parties, Top Rank was made the lead promoter and they, along with Rigondeaux, were the only decision makers when it came to the opponents, fight dates, promotion, etc.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by CubanGuyNYC on 09-12-2012

[QUOTE=PinoyNation;12502091]How is it protecting Nonito if he fights Nishioka and Mares/Moreno? If you ask me the one getting protected by fighting easy matches is Rigo. You Cuban fans are in denial.[/QUOTE] It's relative. If Donaire loses to Nishioka, for instance,…

Comment by dan_cov on 09-12-2012

You are talking about fighting p1sh opposition, do you realise Donaire has been picking on 5ft2 112-115lb midgets his whole career? His resume is fcukin laughable. You mock Teon Kennedy & sh1t, look who Donaire has fought! 5ft3 112lb Omar…

Comment by PinoyNation on 09-12-2012

How is it protecting Nonito if he fights Nishioka and Mares/Moreno? If you ask me the one getting protected by fighting easy matches is Rigo. You Cuban fans are in denial.

Comment by CubanGuyNYC on 09-12-2012

[QUOTE=PinoyNation;12501970]Why didn't Rigo fight Mathebula then, to unify a couple of belts? If Nishioka is such an old fart why didn't Rigondeaux fight him to prove he is the #1 guy in the division? Nonito is on the road to…

Comment by PinoyNation on 09-12-2012

Why didn't Rigo fight Mathebula then, to unify a couple of belts? If Nishioka is such an old fart why didn't Rigondeaux fight him to prove he is the #1 guy in the division? Nonito is on the road to…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (36)
Top Headlines WBA: Rigondeaux Will Be Stripped After Loss To Lomachenko! Photos: Cletus Seldin, Antoine Douglas, O'Sullivan Workouts Video: Billy Joe Saunders Aims To Box Lemieux's Ears Off Haymon Boxing: DeGale Does Have Rematch Clause For Truax Photos: David Lemieux Training For Promised KO of Saunders Lomachenko Manager: Preference is To Unify at 130 Photos: Billy Joe Saunders Putting in Work For David Lemieux Video: David Lemieux Very Pumped To Face Billy Joe Saunders Arum: Dates in March, April on Hold For Crawford's Title Fight Photos: Lucas Matthysse, Mercito Gesta - Los Angeles Presser Mayweather Claims UFC Approached Him With Multi-Fight Deal Crawford Trainer: 'Boatload of Money' to Fight Horn in Australia Skoglund Update, Dimitrenko-Rovcanin Set, Murat News, More News: Clestus Seldin, Efren Lopez, HBO's Fight Game, More Edis Tatli Regains Euro Title, Decisions Francesco Patera Hearn on DeGale: When You Are Free Agent, Nobody Gives a F***! Fury To Joshua: Where You at Boy? No One Blocking My Path Now! HBO's Tripleheader Peaked at 618,000 Viewers Saturday Night Shohjahon Ergashev vs. Sonny Fredrickson on ShoBox, Jan. 12 Carlos Cuadras vs. McWilliams Arroyo on Superfly 2, Feb. 24 Rigondeaux's Left Hand Bruised, Not Broken, in Lomachenko Loss Amir Khan Will Scout Jeff Horn: I'd Go To Australia To Fight Him Photos: Katie Taylor vs. Jessica McCaskill, Undercard - Weigh-In ESPN’s Loma-Rigo Watched By 1.73M; Basic Cable’s No. 2 Since 2012 Tyson Fury Free To Box After UKAD Ruling Lomachenko Isn't Impressed With What He Has Done This Year Saunders: I'll Give Lemieux My Purse if My Chin Doesn't Hold Up! Ward Does Not Think Kovalev is Back, Just Had Perfect Opponent Horn Trainer: No Judges From Australia, No Advantage for Us Lee Selby Ready To Fight Josh Warrington at Elland Road Katie Taylor Aims For 'Big 2018' - To Unify Lightweight Division NSAC Head: No Reason Not To Give Boxing License To Nate Diaz Groves-Eubank Undercard: Ryan Walsh vs. Isaac Lowe is Set Manny Pacquiao Could Return in Mexico City, Says Beltran Jeff Horn "Very Relieved" To Make Weight For Gary Corcoran Mikael Zewski Stops Martin Escobar at the Montreal Casino Lomachenko Would Be Wise To Consider Pacquiao Possibilities Arum: Who Gives a Sh*t About White, He's a Piece of Crap! Fenech: Nothing Illegal in Jeff Horn Tactics, He is Not Dirty Fighter! Truax: DeGale Looked Past Me, You Can't Do That in Boxing
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement