Advertisement
Advertisement

Ricky Burns Ready For Tough Camp, Moses and Mitchell

Ricky Burns is enjoying his last week of regular living before he gets down to preparing seriously for his interim WBO lightweight battle against Paulus Moses at the Braehead Arena on March 10.

The 28-year-old champion from Coatbridge is already in training for the visit of the Namibian, who has lost only once in 29 fights.

However, he will move into overdrive next week when he starts looking at the scales with the nine stone nine pounds limit in mind, although he admits it will not be quite as difficult as it used to be when he was a super-featherweight.

"The hard dieting will start next week," said Burns.

"At the moment I have a wee bit of leeway and if I want something I can have it.

"But I start pushing it seven weeks before the fight.

"I started training just after the New Year so we are in full training, two and three times a day.

"But the countdown is on to the weigh-in and then it's time to get on with the job.

"No matter what weight you have to make it is always hard. But again, making nine stone nine is a lot easier than having to boil down to nine stone four.

"I am much happier now that I have moved up a weight."

While not taking victory for granted, Burns wants to take on Essex fighter Kevin Mitchell in the summer.

Mitchell's only defeat in 33 fights to date was to Michael Katsidis at Upton Park, London, in May 2010, whom the Scotsman beat at Wembley in November last year to take the title from the Australian.

"Obviously I have to get past Paulus Moses first or that (Mitchell) fight is not going to happen," said Burns.

"I know Kevin is fighting in February and as long as the two of us come through then we can sit down and talk about it.

"Both of us are promoted by Frank Warren so it is an easy fight for us to make.

"I would say the two of us are the best lightweights in Britain just now so it is a fight that I would really want.

"When I beat Michael Katsidis he (Mitchell) was saying he would love the chance to fight me.

"I would prefer it to be up here.

"Hopefully we can show them that we can get Braehead sold out and get the fans behind me.

"But for now, I just need to concentrate on my next fight."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment/View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Amir Khan: I'll Win and Make History, Shut The Doubters Up! Luis Ortiz-Tony Thompson Finalized For March 5th on HBO Cruz vs. Koasicha Tops March 4 Telemundo Bill In Tampa Toka Kahn-Clary Promises To Let The Hard Shots Rain Down Frank Bruno Insists Comeback Talk Came From The Heart Mayweather: Me and Al Haymon Have All The Say So in Boxing Arum: If Pacquiao Continues To Fight, Crawford is Perfect Foe Nietes May Defend Against Garcia in May, Not Fuentes Boxe Loreni Wins Purse Bid For Chudinov-Signani EBU Title Fight IRA Claims 'Credit' For Deadly Dublin Weigh-In Shooting Browne Continues Camp As Chagaev Clash Still On Course Freddie Roach Warns: Don't Count Khan Out Completely Jonathan Gonzelez-Joebert Alvarez To Battle on March 19 Brook: I Wish Khan The Best, Don't Think He Can Beat Canelo Gutknecht To Braehmer: I’m Ready To Avenge My Defeat! Robert Helenius-Johann Duhaupas on April 2 For WBC Silver Belt Evander Holyfield: Anthony Joshua is Best Fighter UK Ever Had Mayweather: Khan Should Have Fought Brook, Not Canelo "Fighting Words" - Canelo vs. Khan: A One-Ring Circus Khan: If I'm Scared of Brook, Then Why Would I Fight Canelo? Guillermo Rigondeaux Wants To Excite in Liverpool, Says Diaz Haye Says The Klitschko Era is Over, Tabs Fury For Repeat Win Austin Trout Willing To Travel, Face Liam Smith in The UK Tyson Fury Hopes Wladimir Klitschko Rematch is Set 'ASAP' Hatton: Canelo Will Be Too Strong and Powerful For Amir Khan Francisco Vargas: Salido Would Be High Risk, a Good Challenge Povetkin: After Wilder I'm Open To Fury, Martin and Klitschko Lucian Bute, Alvarez, Beterbiev Tripleheader on April 2nd? Khan: People Thought De La Hoya Would Destroy Pacquiao Wanheng Menayothin Defends WBC Strap on March 2nd Artur Beterbiev Eyes Ring Return in March or April Pedro Guevara Faces Jether Oliva on February 20 in Sinaloa McGuigan: Khan is Very Ballsy, Canelo Walks Around at 200 Sam O'Maison Stole The Show With Big Knockout Over Hardy Cortez Feels Canelo-Golovkin is More Likely For 2017 Showtime Championship Boxing 30: Hopes for the Year Ahead Tyson Fury Hopes To Head Up New Heavyweight Era Amir Khan Admits Canelo's Size Initially Concerned Him Daily Bread Mailbag: Kovalev, Golovkin, Canelo-Khan, More Frank Warren: Boxing Must Do More For Retired Fighters
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement