Ricky Burns has been handed a route back to world title level with a WBC eliminator.
The Scot will take on unbeaten Montenegrin Dejan Zlaticanin on June 27 in Glasgow after the WBC approved the fight for the international lightweight title. It will double as an official eliminator for the world title.
The main belt is currently held by Omar Figueroa, who has been ordered to defend it against fellow Mexican Daniel Estrada in the coming months.
Burns conceded his WBO title in March when he lost in a unanimous points decision to unbeaten American Terence Crawford.
Burns feels changes to his regime can help him rejuvenate his career against his southpaw opponent, who is ninth in the WBC rankings.
The 31-year-old is training in Essex under Tony Sims, and has been sparring with former world title opponent Kevin Mitchell, after splitting with Billy Nelson.
The Coatbridge fighter said: "Switching trainers and moving down south has made me more hungry and more determined. I've got a point to prove to myself that I have another world title in me.
"After the last fight people were saying 'Ricky is finished, he's found his level, he has overachieved'.
"Do you know, throughout my career I have never ever said I'm going to do this or that, I've just taken one fight at a time and got on with it.
"Freshening things up has brought my hunger back. I'm actually enjoying boxing more now. It's a great bunch of guys to train with and the sparring is top quality."
Burns had been unconvincing in his final two successful defences and took the decision to move away from the home he shares with wife Amanda and baby boy Leon.
"When you're away from home, you are leaving all the distractions behind," he said.
"When I'm down there, you are basically training, eating and sleeping, concentrating on the boxing side of it with no distractions."