Advertisement
Advertisement

Ricky Burns-Miguel Vazquez Pushed Back To April 20th

Promoter Frank Warren’s show at Wembley Arena on Saturday 16th March has been postponed and will now take place on Saturday 20th April.

WBO World Lightweight Champion Ricky Burns’ opponent, Miguel Vazquez - the IBF World Champion - has been suffering from a severe viral infection caused by food poisoning.  Vazquez has been advised to rest and rehydrate, before starting to train again which has meant that the fight has had to be delayed.

There was an opportunity to bring in a replacement challenger for Burns but it was agreed  that at this stage of his career, it was essential that the unification contest went ahead, even if it meant a slight delay.

For Burns, he felt that it was important that he still fight Vazquez for the IBF World title and unify the belts and then head into a possible fight against WBC title-holder Adrien Broner next, bringing two world title belts into the fight.

Burns v Vazquez will still joint headline the show with WBO World Light-Heavyweight Champion Nathan Cleverly defending his title against Robin Krasniqi.  Cleverly will also welcome the postponement as he has been suffering from a stomach virus that left him unable to train for five days last week and then when he resumed training he relapsed again.  This will ensure that he is back to full fitness for the new date.

Promoter Frank Warren said, “It’s very unfortunate that Vazquez has had to withdraw so close to the fight, but it is on medical grounds, which is beyond my control, due to his viral infection, and we have his doctor’s certificate confirming this.  Therefore I have had to postpone the fight, not canceled as stated in some media reports, to Saturday 20th April at Wembley Arena.  Everybody is disappointed by this postponement, but we have worked hard to ensure that Ricky’s unification fight still goes ahead.”

The Wembley Arena undercard will remain the same featuring Dereck Chisora*, Frank Buglioni, John Thain, Steve O’Meara, Gary Corcoran, Mitchell Smith, Joey Taylor and Miles Shinkwin.

Following George Groves decision not to fight for the European Super-Middleweight title on the show, he will now not feature.  However, a big announcement will be made shortly regarding a replacement bout.

We apologise to fans who have booked travel and accommodation for the show and have been inconvenienced by this unavoidable change.

Tickets that have been purchased for the show will be still be valid for the new date.

*Dereck Chisora’s appearance is subject to him receiving his British Boxing Board of Control license.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by simonihirst on 03-04-2013

If Broner takes on Abril, i like this unofficial tournament.

Comment by PBP. on 03-04-2013

This means Broner HAS to fight Abril on June 15th. It's the only legitimate fight that makes sense right now. I will be pissed if he fights Paulie.

Comment by HanzGruber on 03-04-2013

So I guess no broner burns in june

Comment by ddangerous on 03-04-2013

[QUOTE=Still Blazin;13108637]Same day as Canelo-Trout? The f*ck.[/QUOTE] That sig is hilarious. LOL.

Comment by P4P_No1 on 03-04-2013

Not looking good for Frank :439:

Post a Comment/View More User Comments (35)
Top Headlines Gutknecht To Braehmer: I’m Ready To Avenge My Defeat! Robert Helenius-Johann Duhaupas on April 2 For WBC Silver Belt Evander Holyfield: Anthony Joshua is Best Fighter UK Ever Had Mayweather: Khan Should Have Fought Brook, Not Canelo "Fighting Words" - Canelo vs. Khan: A One-Ring Circus Khan: If I'm Scared of Brook, Then Why Would I Fight Canelo? Guillermo Rigondeaux Wants To Excite in Liverpool, Says Diaz Haye Says The Klitschko Era is Over, Tabs Fury For Repeat Win Austin Trout Willing To Travel, Face Liam Smith in The UK Tyson Fury Hopes Wladimir Klitschko Rematch is Set 'ASAP' Hatton: Canelo Will Be Too Strong and Powerful For Amir Khan Francisco Vargas: Salido Would Be High Risk, a Good Challenge Povetkin: After Wilder I'm Open To Fury, Martin and Klitschko Lucian Bute, Alvarez, Beterbiev Tripleheader on April 2nd? Khan: People Thought De La Hoya Would Destroy Pacquiao Wanheng Menayothin Defends WBC Strap on March 2nd Artur Beterbiev Eyes Ring Return in March or April Pedro Guevara Faces Jether Oliva on February 20 in Sinaloa McGuigan: Khan is Very Ballsy, Canelo Walks Around at 200 Sam O'Maison Stole The Show With Big Knockout Over Hardy Cortez Feels Canelo-Golovkin is More Likely For 2017 Showtime Championship Boxing 30: Hopes for the Year Ahead Tyson Fury Hopes To Head Up New Heavyweight Era Amir Khan Admits Canelo's Size Initially Concerned Him Daily Bread Mailbag: Kovalev, Golovkin, Canelo-Khan, More Frank Warren: Boxing Must Do More For Retired Fighters Johann Duhaupas Returns, Dominates Nascimento Over Ten Khan Says Shock Value Makes '50-50' Fight With Canelo Bigger Kovalev's Coach: If Ward Can't Hurt Sergey, He's in Trouble! Jamel Herring Looking To Step Things Up in 2016 Luis Ortiz Stays Patient, Waiting For Opponent To Get Finalized Sulaiman Warns Canelo That He Can't Make Mistakes With Khan Ocampo Blasts Out Navarro In Five; Cayetano Wins Alberto Machado, Abner Cotto KO Winners In Puerto Rico Kelly Pavlik Charged, Facing 180 Days in Air Rifle Shooting Photos: Deontay Wilder, Shaquille O'Neal Go Face To Face Jhonny Gonzalez Says Abner Mares Ran From Rematch Golovkin's Coach Doubts Canelo Fight Will Happen in 2016 Nonito Donaire To Hold Camp in Las Vegas For Bedak Clash Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wins 'Fighter of The Year' With BWAA
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement