Ricky Burns is Medically Cleared, To Start Sparring

Ricky Burns has been given the all-clear by doctors to resume sparring after undergoing surgery on his broken jaw.

The WBO lightweight world champion suffered the agonising fracture during his controversial draw with Raymundo Beltran in Glasgow in September.

But he has now been told he can return to the ring for full-contact training as he prepares to defend his belt against unbeaten American Terence Crawford.

"The doctors have given me the all clear," Burns told BBC Scotland. "Obviously I won't know how the jaw will react until it gets hit but I'm now focused on getting into camp."

Glasgow again will be the host city when Burns faces Crawford in February, although the precise venue and date have yet to be confirmed.

Burns added: "As soon as we get the date, we'll know when to start sparring so we can test my jaw. The longer I can leave it the better and I won't be happy until my jaw's been hit a couple of times.

"Sparring-wise, things won't change, although we'll maybe start off with some lighter guys for the first week.

"But the hard sparring five or six weeks before the fight will be the same as always. There will be no messing about.

"There are a few dates available and we should find out in the next couple of weeks."

Burns had vowed to give Beltran a rematch after the judges allowed him to keep hold of his title in spite of a dominant display by the Mexican.

But the WBO stepped in to insist the Coatbridge fighter take on their mandatory challenger Crawford.

The 26-year-old is four years younger than Burns and has won all 22 of his contests so far, including 16 knock-outs.

"I've seen a couple of his fights and he is very good," said Burns of his next opponent.

"Everybody's saying this will be my toughest fight to date, a lot of people are saying I'm going to be the underdog but that's the way I like it.

"I'm just going to go out there and do what I do.

"People have said some of the other guys I've fought would wipe the floor with me but I seem to rise to the occasion."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by .:: JSFD26 ::. on 12-16-2013

No more excuses. [SIZE="1"][I]Posted from App for Android[/I][/SIZE]

Comment by AgainstTheRopes on 12-16-2013

He'll drop out of the fight. Bookmark it

Comment by El Angel on 12-16-2013

Enjoy the holidays Rickster. You ain't gonna be champ long after the New Year.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (3)
Top Headlines Golovkin's Coach: I Doubt Canelo Will Last Eight or Nine Rounds Jeff Horn Crushes Rico Mueller As Title Shot Nears David Haye: Fans Want Me To Smash Tony Bellew, Shut Him Up Joshua Taylor Tabbed To Become World Champion By McGuigan Tim Bradley: I Need To Retire A Winner, Capture One More Title Eric Molina: I'll Fight Anthony Joshua or David Price on Dec. 10 Canelo: It Would Be an Honor To Rematch Miguel Cotto Kevin Lerena Confident of Knocking Micki Nielsen Out Dejan Zlaticanin: I'm Fighting Mikey Garcia on January 28 Custio Clayton Stops Ramses Agaton in Eight Rounds in Montreal WBO Prez To Canelo Critics: Why Did Golovkin Reject Andre Ward! Terence Crawford Seeks Foe For 12/10, Antonio Orozco Next? Chavez Sr. Expects His Son To Return Stronger, Better Than Ever Jessie Magdaleno, Oscar Valdez Discuss Their PPV Fights Golovkin, Sanchez Frown at Golden Boy's Offer To Face Canelo Charlo-Williams, Cuellar-Mares, Promoted By Schaefer, on Dec. 10 Photos: LaRon Mitchell, Scott Alexander Ready For Battle Photos: Valdez, Magdaleno Putting in Work For PPV Fights Golovkin's Promoter Willing To Make Concessions To Get Canelo David Price: If I Land Joshua, I'm Going in There To Do Damage WBO Prez: No Doubt Canelo Knocks Mayweather Out in Rematch! Orlando Salido's Adviser Provides Update on Back Injury Abel Sanchez Has High Expectations For Alex Saucedo Photos: Gennady Golovkin is a Big Hit in Mexico City Parker-Ruiz Approved For WBO Belt, Winner Must Face David Haye Sam Soliman Over The Moon With Court Victory in Germany Coyle-Hibbert, Scarpa-Davies, Bellotti Set For Nov 26 at Wembley Hearn Frustrated: Klitschko-Browne is Huge Letdown For Fans! Carl Frampton Says Rematch Deal Finalized With Leo Santa Cruz Chilemba Training With Roy Jones Jr. For Oleksandr Gvozdyk Alberto Palmetta, Olympian, Inks With Sampson, Maravilla Photos: Frankie Gavin, Sam Eggington Square Up at FInal Presser Abel Sanchez: Golovkin Can Be Nice, Gassiev Wants To Hurt You! Tony Thompson: That ‘Fool’ Dillian Whyte Is C-Level, Easy Work Roberto Duran: Canelo Alvarez Will Beat Gennady Golovkin! Magdaleno: I Want To Send Nonito Donaire Into Retirement Hooker: 140 is a Tough Division, Terence Crawford is Top Dog David Price Willing To Replace Klitschko, Fight Anthony Joshua Hearn: I Think Klitschko Might Be Looking For Easier Fight Micki Nielsen-Kevin Lerena: Muller Breaks Down The Fight

Latest Active Forum Threads