Advertisement
Advertisement

Ricky Burns: I've Got Another Good 10 Years in Me

Ricky Burns vowed to bounce back at world title level and fight on for another 10 years after losing his WBO lightweight belt to unbeaten American Terence Crawford.

The 30-year-old suffered his first defeat in 10 world title fights after a unanimous points decision loss in front of a capacity 10,000 crowd at the SECC in Glasgow.

Two judges scored the fight 116-112 in the Omaha fighter's favour and the other gave a wider margin of 117-111 to the challenger.

Burns edged the first couple of rounds but never put the slick Crawford under serious pressure and his attempts to go for a 12th-round knockout were turned on their head as the American finished the fight in control.

Burns, who suffered the third defeat of his 40-fight career, had struggled in his previous two defences despite holding on to the belt. He beat Jose Gonzales when his opponent withdrew with a broken hand and secured a controversial draw against Raymundo Beltran despite battling on with a broken jaw for the vast majority of the fight.

But the Scot dismissed suggestions he had peaked as he recognised the class of the highly-rated Crawford. And Burns set his sights on winning another world title three and a half years after assuming the mantle of champion when he shocked previously unbeaten super-featherweight Roman Martinez.

The Coatbridge fighter said: "Boxing is all I have ever wanted to do and I will be back. This is just a setback for me. There are some big fights out there for me. My hunger to box is the same, whether I was world champion or not, my attitude towards it doesn't change at all.

"I've got another good 10 years in me. I'm 31 in April and, easy, another 10 years. The support I got was unbelievable and I'll definitely be back.

"Domestically there are some big fights out there but the way I would like to go, if we don't get a rematch with Terence, then I would like to go chasing some of the other world titles."

Promoter Eddie Hearn indicated he would seek other challenges that Burns was better placed to deal with stylistically rather than push for a rematch.

And the deposed champion admitted himself he had found switch-hitter Crawford difficult to box.

Burns, who declared his jaw had not been a problem, said: "I did think it was a lot closer than some of the judges had it. I knew it was going to go against me because of what happened in the last fight.

"I felt I was letting him steal some of the rounds and letting him outwork me. Every time I was going to throw he was just stepping out of distance and looking for counters. When someone is doing that, and his movement is so good, it's hard to fight.

"The better man won on the night.

"I felt sometimes I was forcing it and that's when I was getting caught with stupid punches. If the rematch happened I would try to be a bit busier, but whenever I got on the inside the ref was just splitting us up."

Crawford was only slightly more talkative than his pre-match interviews but he did declare himself a fan of the atmosphere in the SECC.

"It was tremendous out there," the 26-year-old said. "He had a lot of support out there and that's what it's all about. I had people back home cheering me on."

Tags: Ricky Burns image  
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Oasis_Lad on 03-04-2014

At Domestic level.

Comment by Weebler I on 03-04-2014

Not if you fight like that RB. If that's the future, he should just retire, he didn't look like he wanted to be in a fight.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (2)
Top Headlines Golovkin Laughs at Froch, Eubank: Those Clowns Won't Fight Me! J'Leon Love Will Face Dashon Johnson on September 16 Marlon Tapales vs. Paul Butler in The Works For The Fall De La Hoya: Canelo-Smith Will Have Up To 60,000 Fans at Venue! Frampton: The UK Has 14 World Champions - Not All Are Legit! Gerard Carroll To Fight Twice In Eight Days De La Hoya: Canelo-Golovkin Won't Take 6 Years, But Not Now Daniel Geale vs. Renold Quinlan, Vacant IBO 168 Belt on 10/14 Tom Brown Reflects on The Lost Art of Building a Fighter Amir Khan Plans To Fight in January, May and December Caleb Plant Dominates De Angel in PBC on FS1 Main Event Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Hirotsugu Yamamoto Card Coming Together Canelo-Smith on Pace To Outdo Pacquiao, Says Golden Boy VP Video: Abel Sanchez on Brook, Andre Ward, 160 Landscape Video: Loeffler Talks Brook-Golovkin, Jacobs, Carl Froch, More Video: Gennady Golovkin Talks Kell Brook, Unification, More Video: Roman Gonzalez Talks Cuadras Clash, Training Camp LaRon Mitchell Expects Tough Fight With Mario Heredia Luis Ortiz Brushes Off Golden Boy Split, Vows To Batter Ustinov Video: Gennady Golovkin Putting in Work For Kell Brook Fight Gervonta Davis, Floyd Mayweather at Odds, Sosa Bout in Doubt? Errol Spence Over The Moon With MONSTER Rating of 6 Million Liam Smith Warns: I'm Coming in There To Knock Canelo Out! Orlando Salido vs. Takashi Miura Showdown in The Works Eddie Ramirez-Kevin Watts Top FS1 on PBC, September 13 Luis Ortiz, Golden Boy Promotions Officially Part Ways Lemieux vs. Stevens Still Being Worked on, Says Golden Boy VP Jessie Vargas Reflects on The Kell Brook Fight Falling Out Saunders Trashes Eubank Jr. and His Father: Stop Talking Sh*t! Kell Brook: I'm Not Done With 147, I'd Fight Errol Spence! Del Valle Vows To Take The Fight To De La Hoya on Canelo-Smith Luke Campbell vs. Derry Mathews Set For October 15 Margarito Still Aiming For Canelo, Major Opponent in The Fall Kovalev's Coach: Ward's Lack of Power Will Be Biggest Drawback Eubank Frustrated: Golovkin is Running Scared, He Lost Respect! Eduard Troyanovsky-Keita Obara Card Coming Together For 9/9 Nicola Adams To Ponder Next Career Move, Will She Go Pro? Dereck Chisora: I Want Pulev Rematch, I'm Ready To Face Anyone Rio Team Summary: Uzbekistan Tops Cuba, Makes HUGE Splash Cameron Hammond: Commonwealth Shot Is Career Launchpad
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement