By Mitch Abramson
Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, has agreed to terms on a fight between newly minted IBF welterweight champ Randall Bailey and Devon Alexander, to headline a Showtime card on Sept. 8, though no venue has been determined, Schaefer told BoxingScene.com on Monday. Bailey's promoter, Lou DiBella mentioned the bout was in the works over the weekend.
Bailey, 37, decked Mike Jones twice in their June 9 fight, finishing him off with a wicked uppercut in the 11th round of a scheduled 12-rounder for the vacant IBF title. Bailey had waited by his own account two years for an opportunity to challenge for the title as the IBF mandatory.
Now, he gets a chance to face a former junior welterweight champion in Alexander in yet another victory lap for this fight veteran many wrote off after he was stopped by Juan Urango in 2009. For his part, Alexander has won two straight over top opposition since dropping a bout to Tim Bradley last year, beating Marcos Maidana and squeaking by Lucas Matthysse in February. Alexander will be rising to welterweight to challenge Bailey after campaigning for most of his career at 140.
We have agreed on the terms and its going to be a terrific fight, Schaefer told BoxingScene.com. You always have a good fight when it involves Randall Bailey. He's one veteran you can't turn your back on, and it's a great opportunity for Devon.
Mitch Abramson covers boxing for BoxingScene.com and the New York Daily News.