By Rey Colon
Carlos 'El Indio' Quintana, the former WBO welterweight champion has been out of the ring for 13 months, but he already started training for a May bout in Las Vegas - and says 2012 will be his last year to pursue a world title at 154 pounds.
The date of the fight is unknown, says Quintana (28-3, 22KOs), because right now there are ongoing discussions to stage a fight with junior middleweight Deandre Latimore (23-3, 17 KOs) for the Floyd Mayweather-Miguel Cotto undercard on May 5th at the MGM Grand, and there is also the possibility of Quintana-Latimore taking place one day prior, on May 4th and also in Las Vegas.
"We are preparing for that fight. I want to go in there at 100%. It is not known if the fight is going to happen on a Friday or a Saturday, but I hope that it takes place on the [card with] Cotto. I do not when I'll retire but definitely this is my last year. Whether I win the title or not, this should be my last year. This is my first fight in many months and when I [retire] depends on my performance," Quintana said.
His trainer, Jose Bonilla, said Quintana started training in the city of Moca on Monday but will report to his gym in Carolina.
"If we win, we can move forward to another opportunity. Latimore can fight with Cory Spinks. This fight [with Latimore] will be at 154 + 1. Quintana is training and he's coming here on Monday (to Carolina)," Bonilla said.
Tags: Carlos Quintana , Deandre Latimore