By Corey Erdman
According to Artie Pellulo of Banner Promotions, the scheduled August 19 ESPN Friday Night Fights main event between junior welterweights Ruslan Provodnikov and Mauricio Herrera is now off due to an injury sustained by Provodnikov.
"He's hurt his shoulder in training, and he's out of the fight, he's going to see a doctor in Moscow. We're hoping it's just a sprain, and not a tear," said Pelullo, who promotes Provodnikov.
The Russian pressure fighter had been keeping a very active pace, with two fights already this year on the ESPN airwaves. In January, Provodnikov (19-1, 13 KO) lost to Herrera in their first meeting, but bounced back with an off-North American television TKO over journeyman Vyacheslav Yakovenko, and then an eighth round knockout of Ivan Popoca.
Unfortunately, Provodnikov won't be able to continue his torrid pace.
"He won't be doing anything until October or November," assured Pelullo.
In the place of Provodnikov-Herrera, Pelullo has been pushing ESPN director of programming Doug Loughrey to approve light middleweight Demetrius Andrade (13-0, 9 KO) for the co-feature, which would bump the showdown between Hank Lundy and David Diaz into the main event slot.
"I'm trying to get Doug's approval of that, but right now he doesn't want me to do that, he wants me to see if I can replace the whole main event," said Pelullo.
Despite the resistance, Pelullo is pushing for Sammy Gonzalez (7-0-1, KO 3) as an opponent for Andrade. Gonzalez fought to a draw last year on ESPN against Alberto Herrera, brother of Mauricio.
"It's a good co-feature fight," said Pelullo.
Corey Erdman is a member of the Yahoo boxing ratings committee, and a host at theScore on SIRIUS 158. Follow him on Twitter @corey_erdmanTags: Ruslan Provodnikov , Mauricio Herrera , Provodnikov vs Herrera , Provodnikov-Herrera