By Luke Furman
EBU middleweight champion Grzegorz Proksa (26-0, 19 KOs) has no problem facing mandatory challenger Sebastian Zbik (30-1, 10 KOs) in Germany. A few months ago Proksa traveled to Neubrandenburg to capture the vacant EBU belt with a one-sided beating of former IBF champion Sebastian Sylvester.
BoxingScene.com reported on Tuesday that Felix Sturm's company, Sturm Promotions, submitted the winning purse bid for the bout between Proksa and Zbik. Sturm wants to stage this contest in the month of March in Germany.
"Another fight in Germany. We've already seen that I have no problem doing that," Proksa said.
Krzysztof Zbarski, manager of Proksa, gives the fight a 50-50 chance of taking place. He doesn't know if Zbik is actually planning to move forward as planned. He hopes the fight takes place because a victory could get them a title shot. He saw Zbik as the winner of the bout with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., which took place earlier this year. Chavez won a twelve round majority decision in a fight that could have went either way.
"Money is not everything. It is important becasue [Zbik] is an attractive contender. I consider him as an undefeated [fighter] because the judges cost him the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. fight. A victory over him would open new and great prospects, including the possibility of a fight for the championship of the world," he said.
Luke Furman covers boxing for bokser.org Tags: Sebastian Zbik , Grzegorz Proksa