Povetkin's Manager Tells Marco Huck: We Are Ready!
By Alexey Sukachev
In a recent interview with the “Soviet Sport” media agency, top Russian promoter Vladimir Hrunov, who also acts as heavyweight Alexander Povetkin’s chief manager, fired back at WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck, who publicly challenged the WBA "regular" titleholder after Saturday’s victory over Cedric Boswell in Helsinki.
- Vladimir, is Marco Huck serious about fighting Povetkin? Tell us your impressions.
- I'll tell you what?! The guy poses with the Klitschko’s childish photos, as I heard in the news the last week. Looks like he is ready for a space flight. I think we shall provide him with a “warm” welcome.
- Are you really interested in this fight?
- Surely, we are interested. How old is Huck? Twenty six? Then Povetkin will finally meet a boxer who is younger than him (smiles). That’s my reverent for our skeptics. Jokes aside, Huck is a very competent boxer, who defended his crown eight times. That’s a good run.
- However, cruiserweight is not heavyweight…
- That doesn’t mean much these days. (Tomasz) Adamek went up in weight, defeated Chris Arreola and got several more quality wins; David Haye became the champion of the world. Both were cruiserweights in the past. So a Huck fight can really be dangerous for Alexander; it’s a compelling fight.
- And you are ready to take the risk, aren’t you? Even though to win a decision in Germany against a local fighter is next to impossible.
- The States, Germany or England – that doesn’t matter at all. It’s not important in this case. Such challenges as one made by Huck, expressed in such a way, should be accepted anywhere and at any time. Even gloves aren’t necessary. When someone tells us 'come get some,' - we are ready to deliver.
- Do you feel the same about a fight between Alexander Alekseev and Denis Lebedev [who Hrunov manages]?
- Absolutely. When we are called out in such a manner – we are ready here and now. That’s what a man is destined to do. He should accept such challenges immediately.
Anyone has the video of the post fight press conference where Huck challenges Povetkin?Comment by nycsmooth on 12-05-2011
Ibelieve Huck is definately biting more than he can chew, even w/Povetkin's incredibly short reach...Comment by PRBOXINGCOTTO on 12-05-2011
They will do it next fight it should be a good 1 if it happensPost a Comment/View More User Comments (3)