LAS VEGAS - Undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather walked out of a Las Vegas jail early Friday after serving two months for a misdemeanor domestic battery case.
Mayweather was released from Clark County Detention Center, serving two months of a three-month sentence due to work time and good behavior. He plans to resume his boxing career, a move that his lawyers and personal physician warned in court documents might be at risk. They said jail food and water didn't meet Mayweather's dietary needs, and lack of exercise space in a cramped cell threatened his health and fitness.
In order for Mayweather to fight in Las Vegas, he will need a new license from the Nevada Athletic Commission, executive Keith Kizer said Thursday. Mayweather's last license, for the May 5 bout against Miguel Cotto, was for one fight only.
If Mayweather applies, commission Chairman Raymond Avansino Jr. could decide to grant approval administratively or summon Mayweather before the panel for a public hearing, Kizer said.
The 35-year-old boxer pleaded guilty last year to reduced domestic battery charges stemming from a hair-pulling, arm-twisting attack on his former girlfriend, Josie Harris, while two of their three children watched. The plea deal allowed him to avoid trial on felony charges that could have gotten Mayweather up to 34 years in prison if he was convicted. Harris and the children moved to the Los Angeles area since Mayweather was jailed on June 1.
As a high-profile inmate, police said Mayweather was kept separate from the other 3,200 inmates, for his protection, in the downtown Las Vegas facility.
Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa rejected arguments that Mayweather's accommodations were cruel and unusual. The judge ruled June 13 that while Mayweather may not have liked the regimen, he had sufficient space and time for physical activity and the only reason he wasn't eating properly was because he was refusing to eat the meals he was given.
Mayweather looked fit as he donned a leather Miami Heat cap, pulled a gray hooded sweatshirt over his head and shared hugs with about 20 family members and friends, including his 12-year-old daughter, Iyanna Mayweather, and his manager, Leonard Ellerbe, who declined comment outside the jail late Thursday, where he waited with friends, including Mayweather adviser Sam Watson and several others.
He said nothing to the media as he got behind the wheel of a blue Bentley sedan with several friends inside, including rapper 50 Cent, and drove away.
A lot has happened in Mayweather's world since he was jailed June 1. With no television in his solo cell, he couldn't see arch rival Manny Pacquiao lose his WBO welterweight title June 9 to Timothy Bradley.
Mayweather, who goes by the nickname "Money," wasn't around to celebrate last month when Forbes magazine named him the world's highest-paid athlete for 2011. He wasn't able to attend the ESPN network ESPY awards to accept the best fighter award.
And he missed fiancee Shantel Jackson's private birthday bash last week at a Las Vegas steakhouse with friends, including 50 Cent. Las Vegas Review-Journal celebrity columnist Norm Clark noted that Mayweather sent diamonds.
But Mayweather is now a free man, even if his next opponent is not immediately clear.
Promoters for Mayweather's main rival, Philippine boxer Manny Pacquiao, plan a fight Nov. 10 at the MGM Grand Garden arena in Las Vegas. Pacquiao's opponent hasn't been named but Mayweather wasn't believed to be on the list.
Pacquiao, who earned $62 million in fights and endorsements last year, ranked second on the Forbes richest athletes list behind Mayweather and his $85 million in fight earnings.Tags: Floyd Mayweather Jr. , photos , 50 Cent