Photos: Andrzej Fonfara Training For Anthony Russell Bout
Lihht heavyweight Andrzej Fonfara (17-2, 8KOs) will look to continue his streak of wins on May 20th, when he faces Anthony Russell for the WBO's NABO championship at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago. Photos by Lukasz Buras.
- How important is for you is your upcoming fight?
- I will be fighting for WBO NABO Championship so it is super important for me. This will be a challenge for me but also a good opportunity to show myself. And hopefully when I will win the fight I will be in WBO rankings.
- What can you say about your opponent?
His name is Anthony Russell. He was born in Canada but he resides in the USA. He had a lot of amateur fights, and has a professional record of won 16 (KO 5) + lost 2 (KO 1) + drawn 1. I saw couple of his fights, but I am not impressed. His foot work is relatively good and he has long hands. And all I can say now is that I am going to impose on him with my boxing style.
- How are you preparing for this fight?
- As always I am working with Sam Colonna, he is my boxing coach. Also I work out with Jerry Owen who is helping me in my conditioning trainings and Bo Maciejczykiem who is helping me with strength trainings.
- Did you change anything in your training routines?
I didn’t really change anything because all those training and preparations were effective. So basically I am preparing the same way as always. As far as now I am working out more on technique and boxing trainings.
- What are your plans after this fight?
Right now I am not thinking about the future. I am concentrating on my upcoming fight; this is the only thing that I can think of. So after I win this WBO NABO championship I will start paining future fights.
- Is Andrzej Golota helping you as he did last time?
- (laugh) As I mentioned earlier Andrzej Golota is only giving me some advices, he is not my trainer as some people say. But I have to admit that his tips are very helpful! I would like to invite all of boxing fans to come for my next fight which will take place in UIC Pavilion on May 20th. This time I will be fighting for WBO NABO Championship.