Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Peterson's Appeal Could Force Khan To Explore Options

Lamont Peterson has lodged "a comprehensive written appeal" against the WBA's decision to order a rematch against Amir Khan.

The governing body last week confirmed they wanted Peterson to defend their light-welterweight title against Khan after he defeated the Englishman in controversial circumstances in his native Washington on December 10.

But Peterson - who will keep the IBF title regardless after Khan withdrew his appeal to that governing body - is ready to fight that judgement.

A statement from Team Peterson said: "Although rumours have surfaced that we are now in negotiations for a Peterson vs Khan rematch in Washington DC, at this time there are no open negotiations for this bout.

"The Peterson team's focus is on the WBA's decision mandating an immediate rematch.

"A comprehensive written appeal has been submitted to the WBA and we are confident that the WBA will overturn its decision mandating an immediate rematch and recognize Lamont Peterson as the true and final WBA jr (light) welterweight world champion."

Peterson's team contend Khan withdrew his appeal to the IBF because his case was not sound, although Khan's team understandably claim the absence of referee Joe Cooper and WBA supervisor Michael Welsh were the key reasons behind their lack of faith in the hearing.

Peterson's trainer, manager and mentor Barry Hunter said: "We are extremely pleased that Golden Boy and Amir Khan withdrew their protest with the IBF.

"As we have said all along, we were not going to be forced to make a decision by one person or entity and we will continue to do what is in the best interest of Lamont Peterson.

"The Peterson team continuously responded to each of Khan's accusations and the absurdity of the claims. Our reply addressed the rules and also Khan's inability to make adjustments and his performance in the ring, as opposed to placing blame on almost everyone associated with the bout.

"We have an open mind and look forward to Lamont's first title defence. We will discuss internally and asses every viable opportunity available. We will then make the best decision possible for the future of Lamont and his family."

Peterson himself said: "Now that this is over I am ready to move on.

"As I said before, as champion I plan on representing both sanctioning bodies to the best of ability and that means fighting the best fighters in the world in defending my titles."

Whether or not Peterson's appeal to the WBA succeeds, the American knows he has the IBF version of the world title regardless. That means he could choose to ignore the WBA's orders and give up their belt, while still having another title to defend.

Khan last night withdrew his appeal to the IBF on the eve of their scheduled hearing today.

Khan's business manager, Asif Vali, also revealed tonight Peterson's manager Hunter failed to turn up to a meeting yesterday involving them, their American promoters Golden Boy and television paymasters HBO.

Vali told Press Association Sport: "Everything was on when we landed in New York with Amir and his father Shah last night.

"When Barry Hunter failed to show up to a meeting with us and HBO we felt 'is there any point in going to the IBF hearing?'

"When we got here we learned that Joe Cooper and Michael Welsh were not going to be there. All our arguments and everything we put forward were going to be based on those two giving answers and if they weren't going to be there, then was there any point in attending this IBF hearing?"

After pulling out of the hearing at the 11th hour, Golden Boy released a statement outlining their latest offer to new champion Peterson, which guaranteed a 50-50 split of "worldwide revenues" including British television cash.

The deal in question is thought to be worth more than US dollars 1million to Peterson, but the American seems reluctant to grant Khan a shot at redemption, however tempting the offer.Vali admits their attempts to negotiate are falling on deaf ears at the moment.

"We've given the offer through the media, so they can't say there was no offer from the Khans," he said. "We gave the 50-50 offer and we can't be any fairer than to make public the offer we've given.

"We were supposed to have had a phone call from them this morning but there has been nothing as yet.

"We're the ones who have been doing all the negotiations and we're getting nothing back from the Peterson camp. So what we've done now is put the ball fully in their court.

"It's up to the Peterson camp now whether they take it. If not, we have our own plans now with Amir."

Khan had complained to both the WBA, IBF and Washington DC commission after losing his light-welterweight titles to Peterson in the American's hometown.

He highlighted several grievances, chiefly referee Cooper's deduction of two points, the judges' scoring of the bout and the unexplained presence of 'mystery man' Mustafa Ameen at ringside.

Ameen had been due to speak at today's IBF hearing in New Jersey but, after the late cancellation, has finally broken his silence and explained his involvement.

Ameen - who denies any wrongdoing - admits he did get involved with WBA supervisor Welsh.

"I noticed one error and a subsequent error. I assisted him in correcting it without touching anything," he told BBC Sport

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Prince Mongo on 01-19-2012

[QUOTE=D4thincarnation;11685476]Fights Khan, and beats him, his status goes up even further and command even more money in other big name fights. Peterson wants some easy defences, and milk the title a little while and hope he wins the Manny/Floyd sweepstakes.[/QUOTE]…

Comment by Hitman932 on 01-19-2012

[QUOTE=Dirk Diggler UK;11685434]I didnt say he didnt make the right decision. But Khan did offer him his highest purse when he was not the mandatory challenger. So I dont see how Khan "treated him like dirt". Hes now offering him…

Comment by Prince Mongo on 01-19-2012

[QUOTE=Dirk Diggler UK;11685434] . But Khan did offer him his highest purse when he was not the mandatory challenger. So I dont see how Khan "treated him like dirt". .[/QUOTE] The shoddy treatment of Peterson by Team Khan in the…

Comment by D4thincarnation on 01-19-2012

[QUOTE=Prince Mongo;11685450]That is a very simplistic way of looking at things. Right now Khan is going nowhere. Peterson could slip in an easy defence and earn some easy money then fight Khan or hold out to see what materialises out…

Comment by Prince Mongo on 01-19-2012

[QUOTE=D4thincarnation;11685419]Khan cheap? That why Peterson made around 400k for the fight with Khan and about 20k in the fight before. Peterson can make around 1.4-1.8m in the rematch, the money should not be the issue. Peterson can only get a…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (41)
Top Headlines HBO's Kellerman Breaks Down Mayweather-McGregor Situation Martin Gethin Aims To Expose Experience Gaps in Jack Catterall Is GGG Losing Spunk or Was Jacobs as Crafty as He Appeared? Brace Yourself for the Real Possibility of Canelo-Lemieux in September Juan Manuel Marquez Could Name Date, Opponent Next Week Vasyl Lomachenko is Not Taking Jason Sosa Lightly Guillermo Rigondeaux's Adviser Explains Current Career Status Andre Dirrell vs. Jose Uzcategui in Play For May 20 Loeffler Confirms Golovkin-Jacobs Did About 170K PPV Buys Photos: Nico Hernandez vs. Patrick Gutierrez - Official Weigh-In De La Hoya: Golovkin a Big Star? Why Does He Sell 100-200K on PPV? Photos: Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Francisco Contreras - Official Weigh-In Christopher Martin Shocks Daniel Franco, TKO in Three Josh Taylor Overcomes Cut, Stops Warren Joubert In Six Photos: Jorge Paez Jr. vs. Daniel Sandoval - Official Weigh-In Mikey Garcia Will Go To 140 in 2018, Unless Lomachenko Comes Conrad Cummings Stops Gogi Knezevic, Picks Up WBO Regional Shumenov vs. Dorticos Headed To April 29 in Las Vegas Liam Williams: Liam Smith Will Be in For a Rude Awakening Nacho Admits Surprise at Chavez's Hard Work For Canelo Fight Chocolatito: To Win, I Have To Knock Sor Rungvisai Out Rematch! Ray Robinson Returns To The Fillmore in Philadelphia Barthelemy vs. Relikh WBA Eliminator is Ordered Jermell Charlo vs. Charles Hatley Added To Berto vs. Porter Card Photos: Tyron Zeuge vs. Isaac Ekpo - Official Weigh-In Crolla: I'm in The Best Shape of My Life For Linares Rematch Billy Joe Saunders' Trainer on Facing Gennady Golovkin Porter: McGregor Sparring Looked Bad, Mayweather Batters Him Photos: Linares, Crolla Ready For Rematch War - Official Weigh-In Helenius vs. Chisora Rematch Finalized, May 27 in Finland David Benavidez vs. Rogelio Medina in WBC Eliminator Crolla: I'll Need Career Best Performance To Beat Linares Thurman No Longer Concerned With Pursuit of Mayweather Spence's Trainer: Brook Dwells on His Loss as Career High Point! Frank Warren: Saunders Very Confident He'll Beat Golovkin David Haye: I Will Be Heavyweight Champion Again, Trust Me Callum Smith Would Love To Get His Hands on James DeGale British Boxer Moves Past Terror Attack, Wins Fight in WSOB Peter Fury Receives Visa, Will Be Present For Joseph Parker Bout Mikey Garcia Has Received Good Offers From Schaefer, De La Hoya
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement