by Rick Reeno
A few months have passed, and junior welterweight Lamont Peterson has no regrets about rejecting a deal to fight WBA/IBF champion Amir Khan. Earlier this year, the two sides were negotiating for weeks before the deal fell apart. Peterson reportedly turned down an offer of over $300,000 dollars face Khan in England on April 16. He was later replaced by Paul McCloskey.
On Friday night at the Cosmopolitan Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, Peterson will face Victor Cayo in an IBF mandatory eliminator. Peterson's purse for Cayo is significantly less than the six-figure offer he rejected for a Khan fight in April.
"At the end of the day it's about being respected. It's a business and at the end of the day - if I don't like the deal, then I don't fight," Peterson told BoxingScene.
Peterson watched Khan's recent unification win over Zab Judah, and he wasn't too impressed with either boxer.
"I thought Amir Khan did what he had to do to win the fight, but I still think overall that it was a boring fight. That's all I can really say about that. I think [Judah] looked confused from the first round and all the way to the fifth. I don't know if he saw his way out and took it or not, but as a fighter you are expected to act like a fighter and regardless of what the circumstances are - you fight on," Peterson told BoxingScene.com.
If Peterson defeats Cayo, he becomes the mandatory challenger to Khan's IBF title. But, Peterson won't hold his breath on the fight coming off.
What Peterson expects to happen - is already in place. Timothy Bradley was stripped of his WBC title, and now Erik Morales will face Jorge Barrios for the vacant belt on September 17 in Las Vegas. Morales has already been mentioned as a frontrunner to face Khan in December, which is going to be the British star's final bout at 140-pounds.
With a WBC belt around Morales' waist, you can expect a big December unification with Khan, who plans to move up to 147-pounds in early 2012.