By Ryan Maquiñana
Middleweight titleholder Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin responded to fellow titlist Daniel Geale’s desire for a unification bout down the line.
“That would be a good fight with Geale,” Quillin (29-0, 21 KOs) told BoxingScene.com. “I’m open to [Felix] Sturm, too. Like a lot of these other guys, though, they go on record, but there’s no offers on the table. Where are the offers?”
Geale (29-1, 15 KOs) fights Darren Barker (25-1, 16 KOs) this Saturday in Atlantic City on an HBO-televised card. The Australian appeared on BoxingScene Radio on Tuesday and stated he would be “happy to face [Quillin] in the U.S.” after the Barker bout and what would likely be a mandatory defense against Sturm.
However, while Quillin is aware about the current “cold war” that has forced promoters and networks to pick sides, he feels that some fighters would still be reluctant to take him on even if the current barriers were not in effect.
“They call me out, so send the offers,” Quillin said. “It’s been like that with guys like Matthew Macklin, good middleweights who never accepted to fight me all these years. Let’s just say Barker and Geale is a good fight. Geale still has to get past Barker, and Barker needs to get by Geale. But I would be super-glad to take on the winner.”
Quillin is scheduled to appear next on the Oct. 26 Bernard Hopkins-Karo Murat Showtime-televised undercard in Atlantic City, though his opponent is yet to be determined.
“Golden Boy wants to see me in October, so I stay in shape. I’m going to get some rounds in today,” said Quillin, who holds camps in Hollywood but is currently in New York City. “I wanted to fight three times this year, but since that February card pushed my fight [with Fernando Guerrero] a few months back, I want to fight one more time at the end of the year.”
Gabriel Rosado (21-6, 13 KOs), who is coming off a controversial no-contest against J’Leon Love after Love tested positive for a banned diuretic, was mentioned as a possible Quillin foe but chafed at what he alleged was a paltry offer of $50,000.
“From what I read, Golden Boy offered him $50,000,” Quillin said. “I’m never going to tell a fighter ‘no’ as far as what he thinks he deserves. That’s up to the fighter. I’m a fighter, too, and we’re all trying to make a living and get what we think we deserve.”
Quillin, who recently got married, is beginning to understand the definition of providing for a family and all of the other aspects that accompany it.
“Everything in life comes with challenges,” he said. “It’s different living with somebody you’ve never lived with before. I’m learning my way. My closet is basically her closet now. I have a huge sneaker collection, but I’m selling them now. I’m just reaching a new point in my life.”
One fantasy fight at 160 pounds would involve Quillin and fellow titlist Gennady Golovkin (27-0, 24 KOs), but both fighters are entrenched with Showtime and HBO, respectively. Golovkin and Curtis Stevens (25-3, 18 KOs) had been in negotiations, but Stevens and his team balked at the current offer of $300,000. Quillin wouldn’t mind stepping in for Golovkin.
“Curtis Stevens is calling me out,” Quillin said. “If the fight can be made, let it be made. Curtis is a good dude. We’re friends. But somebody’s trying to take what I’ve worked my whole life for, and I gotta protect what’s rightfully mine.”
As for matchups with Golovkin and Sergio Martinez (51-2-2, 28 KOs), the long-reigning king of the division who is also more or less an HBO fighter, Quillin reiterated his stance.
“I’ve said numerous times I would fight Golovkin,” Quillin said. “I would fight Sergio Martinez. I’ve been chasing him for two years and calling him out. Now that I got a belt, the people act like I’m scared of him. I respect these fighters. Their journeys are just as important as mine. I think eventually the networks and promoters will solve this [feud] soon and we can make these fights happen.”
Until then, all “Kid Chocolate” can do is stay ready for his next fortuitous moment to put his sweetness on display.
“I’m working hard for what I get, and to be the best middleweight out there,” he said. “The bumps in the road I’ve taken in my career with the injuries and the adversity would knock out some guys to the sideline for good, but I’ve defeated all odds. It’s my time.”
Ryan Maquiñana was the boxing producer for NBCOlympics.com during London 2012 and writes a weekly column for CSNBayArea.com. He is a full member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and the Ratings Panel for Ring Magazine. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org , check out his blog at Norcalboxing.net, or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.