By Phil D. Jay
Entertaining fighter Pawel Wolak has told WBN that he would be willing to return to the sport and postpone his MMA debut if any of the stars at 154lbs offered him the chance to mix it with the elite of the division.
The New Jersey-based light-middleweight retired from boxing following his loss to Delvin Rodriguez in December last year, but admitted that he would find a call from WBC champion Saul Alvarez too hard to turn down as the Mexican seeks an opponent for September 15.
“I have no idea whether I am in the frame to fight Canelo or not but I have always said that if Cotto, Bundrage or Canelo would give me an opportunity to fight for their title that I would come back,” Wolak told World Boxing News.
“I am still training four days a week in boxing. I am very much in shape and if it happens great, if not I am staying on track for MMA later this year or early 2013.
“I am without a promoter and I am grateful to have the many fans I do. My style I guess makes me a consideration because it would be an all-out brawl with Alvarez, but I really have no idea (whether I will get the call).”
The 30 year-old lost just twice in a 32-fight career in which he gathered many admirers and after fighting out the fight of 2011 against Rodriguez a year ago, would be welcomed back to boxing with open arms.
Phil D. Jay covers boxing for worldboxingnews.net
Tags: Saul Alvarez , Pawel Wolak