Paul Williams is Resting After Long Surgical Procedure
Former welterweight champion Paul Williams’ promoter, Dan Goossen, says the boxer is resting Friday night following surgery to stabilize his spine. The surgery lasted 6 ½ hours Friday night. Goossen said the surgery “went as planned” and doctors said they would talk with Williams about the procedure on Saturday.
The 30-year-old Williams severed his spinal cord when he was thrown from his motorcycle Sunday morning in Marietta, Ga. Police said he was driving too fast for conditions.
Williams’ manager, George Peterson, said the former champion is paralyzed from the waist down. He had been scheduled to fight Sept. 15 in Las Vegas against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.
Goossen said Williams has been talking and in good spirits as he predicted he would walk again.
I was really surprised that Canelo said he will be dedicating his fight to Paul Williams and his family. I have a whole level of respect for Canelo as young as he is this shows a lot of maturity and…Comment by mathed on 06-02-2012
Get well Williams...we'll be pulling for youComment by ChestRockwell on 06-02-2012
Paul is the man. The sport of boxing took a huge blow losing PWill. I hope he still stays involved.Comment by b0ndsj0ns20 on 06-02-2012
Paul is my hero. It makes me feel kinda pathetic complaining about my problems, which in the grand scheme of things are so minor. He's taking an upbeat attitude towards this, and if anyone can find a way to beat…Comment by Bushbaby on 06-02-2012
It's just too bad he didn't have the fan base necessary when he was a welterweight. All the fights that didn't happen would have happened through him. We'd have an undisputed champ no doubt.Post a Comment/View More User Comments (23)