Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Pascal-Dawson Rematch is Resting on HBO's Shoulders

By Lem Satterfield

Earlier this month, WBC president Jose Sulaiman has ordered an immediate rematch of the Showtime televised, Dec. 18, majority draw between light heavyweight (175 pounds) king Jean Pascal, of Canada, and former undisputed middleweight titlist Bernard Hopkins, of Philadelphia.

The decision, by an overwhelming vote of 30-to-2 by the WBC's 32-member Board of Governors, was made despite Pascal's contractual obligation with promoter Gary Shaw for a return bout against southpaw former WBC interim titlist Chad Dawson of New Haven, Conn., against whom Pascal won an HBO televised, disputed, 11th-round technical decision in August.

Against Pascal, Hopkins was looking to become the oldest fighter in the history of the sport to win a significant world title -- 38 days older than when 45-year-old George Foreman knocked out Michael Moorer in the 10th round on November 5, 1994, to become the eldest man to win a heavyweight crown.

It appeared that if Pascal (26-1-1, 16 knockouts) does not fight the 46-year-old Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 KOs), he would be stripped of his crown, and that if he does, he could face a lawsuit from the camp of Dawson (29-1, 27 KOs).

"The WBC has ordered the rematch between Jean Pascal and Bernard Hopkins by a vote of 30 votes to two. The WBC has a champion, and that champion is Pascal," Sulaiman told FanHouse on Jan. 6. "If the WBC, after reviewing everything, thinks that there should be a rematch, then there should be a rematch. And whomever does not accept it -- Pascal or Hopkins -- then he is out."

A deal for Pascal-Hopkins II must be completed, or else a purse bid will be ordered for Feb. 4 at the WBC's office in Mexico City.

"They have to accept the rematch, and the reason is this. We believe that the rematch would be another in the great fights that the world is expecting," said Sulaiman. "We believe that the first fight, even though it did not have too much support before the fight, it broke several Showtime ratings records that existed over the last four years. All of that makes this rematch very good for the sport of boxing."

Shaw, however, said that he would move forward with plans to make Pascal-Dawson II, this, in accordance with an agreement that he has with Pascal's promoter, Yvon Michel.

"My reaction is that we have a contract, and that the WBC can rule whatever they want. It doesn't over rule the contract that I have with Yvon Michel. Yvon Michel is a gentleman and I believe that he will honor our contract. I'm not going to go on record with anything other than that," said Shaw.

"Except that I will say that I trust Yvon Michel, and I believe that I have a solid contract for a rematch with Jean Pascal," said Shaw. "I have a long-standing relationship Yvon Michel. Yvon has always been a gentleman. He called me today ask me for the dates that they're willing to do the fight, and I have sent a letter off to HBO requesting those dates."

Michel is willing to do the rematch, but only if the fight is picked up by a major network. There is a clause in the contract that allows Pascal to bypass a Dawson rematch if neither of the two major networks, HBO or Showtime, are willing to purchase the fight.  

"Nothing has changed since the last time we spoke together. We expressed our wish to the WBC to fight Bernard Hopkins. But we have a signed agreement for a rematch with Chad Dawson, and we will not deny that. But the trigger to it is whether or not HBO buys it. So, if HBO buys the fight between Jean Pascal and Chad Dawson, then we will have no choice. But if they pass, then we will be free to fight Bernard Hopkins," Michel said.

If HBO picks up the rematch, Michel will appeal the WBC's mandate for a rematch with Hopkins. Michel will not pursue an appeal before HBO renders a final decision on whether or not they plan to purchase the Dawson rematch.

"Before we have a move on that, I will wait to see what HBO is going to do. We will, if we fight Chad Dawson, definitely we are going to appeal the WBC's decision. But if we end up fighting Bernard Hopkins, then we will not. It's going to be something that we do not have to do since our wish is to fight Bernard Hopkins any how. So, before doing anything in that regard, then, we will wait to see what HBO is going to do," Michel said.

If Pascal moves forward with a Hopkins rematch, Shaw has vowed to bring forth a legal action. Michel is not worried about a legal case coming into play. Pursuant to their contracts terms, the rematch requires the involvement of a major television outlet. If HBO and Showtime take a pass, then Michel doesn't see any grounds for a legal action by Dawson.

"They can't -- not if we will really do exactly what our agreement is actually saying, but we can't do anything about it if nobody is willing to buy the fight. If HBO is not willing to buy the fight, and I don't think that Showtime will buy it either. So, if nobody is buying it, and it is not accepted, then, we will not do a fight together that nobody wants to see. There will be no grounds at all [for a lawsuit]," Michel said.

Lem Satterfield is the boxing editor at AOL FanHouse and the news editor at BoxingScene.com. To read more from Lem Satterfield, go to AOL FanHouse by Clicking Here .

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by kingfaze19 on 01-23-2011

man , why cant gary shaw accpet the fact aint nobody tryna see no damn pascal-dawson II fight, Bhop took the steam and buzz away from that, therefore , pascal-hopkins II needs to made asap, it will have more fan…

Comment by Iceta Lives on 01-23-2011

[QUOTE=flipbjefrox;9997279]HBO needs to stop supporting these boring fighters with no fan base. I dont mind showcasing them but to pay them millions is what creates this false market for these so called fighters such as berto, dawson, bradley etc.[/QUOTE] Bradley…

Comment by ghost deini on 01-23-2011

[QUOTE=flipbjefrox;9997279]HBO needs to stop supporting these boring fighters with no fan base. I dont mind showcasing them but to pay them millions is what creates this false market for these so called fighters such as berto, dawson, bradley etc.[/QUOTE] i…

Comment by belna on 01-23-2011

The WBC wants to have the oldest champion record. They proved already that they are able to do anything they could to be sure it happens. They will strip Pascal, order a fight between the winner of Diaconu-Henry, knwing that…

Comment by belna on 01-23-2011

The possibility in itself of Hopkins becoming the oldest champion of all time if he wins the rematch against Pascal is enough for HBO to buy Dawson-Hopkins. BUT, HBO is acting a little strange these days.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (24)
Top Headlines Christopher Diaz, Olympians Return on Top Rank Card, April 21 Muhammad Ali - New Film Getting Developed, To Drop in 2021 Sullivan Barrera vs. Paul Parker Finalized for HBO Latino, April 15 Bellew Admits He Was Terrified, Wrote a Will Before Haye Fight Joseph Parker vs. Hughie Fury Not Likely To Leave Auckland Daniel Dubois vs. David Howe Added To Manchester Card Crawford-Diaz Announced for 5/20 at MSG, Not Prudential Center Kosei Tanaka vs. Angel Acosta Finalized For May 20 in Nagoya Kell Brook vs. Errol Spence - Ticket Information Quigg vs. Simion Could Become Final Eliminator, Says Hearn Cause of Amateur's Death a Mystery as Investigation Continues Warren: Forget Flanagan-Crolla, Let’s Make Flanagan-Linares Amir Khan Eager to Test Out His Surgically Repaired Right Hand Spence's Trainer: Errol is Just as Big, Taller Than Kell Brook Scott Quigg Aims To Reclaim Elite Status With Freddie Roach Paul Butler: Jamie McDonnell Fight Is Close Marcus Morrison: I F***ed Up, Will Be Back Better Andy Lee Tired of "Biased" Commentary During Sky Sports Cards Mikey Garcia Feels Golovkin Made Mistake By Going To PPV Wladimir Klitschko: Guns Are Cocked, I Look Forward To Shooting Hearn: Joshua-Haye is Dead, Haye Needs Bellew Rematch Marriaga Confident of Win: Oscar Valdez is Not Out of This World Golovkin's Coach Has NO Issue With Jacobs Missing IBF Weigh-In De La Hoya Cautions: Canelo Can Not Lose To a Countryman Ricardo Mayorga Ready For Action, Has One Eye on Margarito Klitschko Would Want Farewell Fight at Olimpiyskiy in Ukraine De La Hoya To Mayweather: Forget McGregor, Fight Canelo at 160 DeGale: I Can Fight Gennady Golovkin at 160, Andre Ward at 175 Photos: Barthelemy-Blanco, Hernandez-Davis - Official Weigh-in Katie Taylor Wants Women's Boxing To Have Three Minute Rounds Linares: I'd Love To Face Mikey Garcia in Las Vegas, LA, Anywhere Michael Devine Announces Retirement From Boxing Ohara Davies: Mayweather Advised TMT Boxers To Avoid Me Javier Fortuna Extends Pact With Sampson Boxing Hasim Rahman Jr. Pro Debut Pushed Back To April 14 Jean Pascal To Nick Diaz: You Coward, Don't Talk Sh*t - Fight Me! Lemieux vs. Reyes, Diaz vs. Avila Added To Canelo-Chavez Saunders To Golovkin: If You Have a Pair of Balls, Sign The Contract! Team GB Release Four Fighters: Bateson, Cameron, Marshall, Davies Hearn: Crolla Should Get at Least 1 Million For Flanagan Bout
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement