By Rick Reeno
Michael Koncz, the adviser to eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao, was amused with the stipulations that were recently laid out by Floyd Mayweather Jr. In an interview posted Friday by Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports, Mayweather said he willing to face Pacquiao - but only under the condition that Pacquiao signed a promotional agreement with Mayweather Promotions.
"I’m just letting you know that he’s not getting a fight with me. The only way he’s getting a fight with me is if he signs with Mayweather Promotions. He’s got to give me fights with Mayweather Promotions. If he don’t give me no fights under Mayweather Promotions, then he’s not getting the fight," Mayweather told Iole.
In the interview, Mayweather attacked Koncz personally by calling him a "little weasel" and stating that he "didn't know who" Koncz was when the adviser made the trip to Mayweather's gym in Las Vegas, in 2012, to work out a possible fight agreement.
Last year, which Koncz points out, discussions had taken place where both sides, through 50 Cent, were trying to come together to form a promotional company. The idea fell apart not long after Mayweather and 50 Cent had a falling out.
In January 2012, Pacquiao and Mayweather had their infamous phone conversation - where Mayweather presented a flat fee of $40 million for Pacquiao's services and offered to wire an overnight advance of $20 million. Pacquiao presented a counter-offer of a 50-50 revenue split.
"It's nothing but another excuse," Koncz told BoxingScene.com. "A year ago we were talking about forming a promotional company with Manny and Floyd. Because with those two super-power names in the boxing industry and the pay-per-view industry - it would have been a very powerful company. And that's why I kind of find it interesting that he says that we have to sign with his promotional company when we tried to do a joint venture."
"I'm not going to belittle myself to their level and do name-calling, it's a childish forum and I have no intention of doing that. The facts are very simple. I put Manny and Floyd on the phone together. Yes Floyd offered $40 million and offered to send him $20 [million]. Yes Manny told him I want 50-50 on the revenue split and Manny said 'I'm going to send Michael down there to see if we can work this out.'
If Mayweather really wants the fight, Koncz believes anything can be worked out and any issue, within reason, can be resolved. However, he says Pacquiao and the rest of the team are fully focused on their upcoming fight with Brandon Rios on November 23rd in Macau, China.
"The bottom line is - we are always able and willing to fight. If two fighters really want to fight each other you can work out any obstacle that's reasonable. But with all due respect to Floyd, he is not our priority right now. Our priority is Brandon Rios, not Floyd Mayweather or any other opponent. We are fighting Brandon Rios in November and that's where our focus is," Koncz said.
Tags: Manny Pacquiao , Floyd Mayweather Jr. , Michael Koncz