By Ronnie Nathanielsz
As previously reported, Manny Pacquiao’s planned November 10 fight at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena is off.
Although Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum, who flew to the Philippines and met with Pacquiao in his hometown of General Santos City earlier this month, was confident the fight would definitely take place on November 10, Pacquiao has apparently had a change of heart and doesn’t want to fight on that date.
Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz who is in the United States told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard that he met with Arum in New York last Sunday and informed him that Pacquiao is prepared to fight on December 1 but that he hasn’t decided as yet on who his opponent will be or where the fight will be held.
Koncz indicated that the reason for the change of date was due to a conflict with the Congressman’s personal affairs which the adviser did not specify.
Koncz said “there is no hurry. I will talk to Manny in the next couple of days and discuss the options” which remain the same – a rematch with Timothy “Desert Storm” Bradley who won a hugely controversial split decision to grab Pacquiao’s WBO welterweight title, Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez who continues to claim he was robbed by the judges in their first three previous fights and wants a fourth battle with Pacquiao, and super welterweight Miguel Cotto who lost by a 12th round TKO to Pacquiao at the catch-weight of 145 pounds.
However, there has been a swirl of rumors that Pacquiao and some of his team members have been pushing him to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. and nobody else, because a loss in a rematch with Bradley or a fourth fight with Marquez would ruin his chances of making big money in a Mayweather fight.
With Mayweather released from prison ahead of time because of good behavior, a December 1 date would give the undefeated fighter enough time to recover from his prison ordeal and prepare for a Pacquiao showdown.
Well known Australian promoter Peter Maniatis who was recently in Manila believes the best option for Pacquiao right now is to face Mayweather and not risk fighting Marquez which he said “is a dangerous fight” or even Bradley whose confidence has grown and “is a younger fighter who can only get better in a rematch.”