By Ronnie Nathanielsz
Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao who was scheduled to leave for Los Angeles Tuesday night to shoot a Nike commercial with NBA Finals MVP Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers, can’t get an October date for his planned fight against WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto.
Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Konz told BoxingScene.com, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports that he had spoken to Pacquiao and informed him that “we are not going to have a choice because we don’t have a TV date and we also need ample time to promote the fight.”
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum had earlier indicated he had a November 14 date for the Pacquiao-Cotto showdown at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Arum is currently not in the US having gone to London for a meeting with plans of visiting Israel after that.
Koncz said he has the proposal with him and Pacquiao will get a chance to study it while he is in the US and then begin negotiations. Koncz said Top Rank will “put a decent offer on the table and more likely than not Manny will reject it and then negotiate a little bit.” However, Pacquiao’s adviser added “we are in the same ballpark. Its up to Manny but I think we can make it happen.”
Pacquiao is eager to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr should he win against Juan Manuel Marquez in their September 18 clash at the MGM Grand. There have been reports of efforts to quietly negotiate a fight with Mayweather, the former pound-for-pound king prior the May elections in the Philippines where Pacquiao plans to run for the lone congressional seat in Sarangani province in Mindanao.