By Nick Parkinson, courtesy of The Daily Star
ANTHONY OGOGO vowed to become Britain’s best ever middleweight and also wants to be knighted.
After winning bronze at the 2012 Olympics, the 24-year-old has signed a five-year deal with American promotional giants Golden Boy, who also look after light-welterweight Amir Khan.
And Ogogo is expected to make his punch-for-pay debut either in the UK on the undercard of Khan’s next fight on April 20 or in Las Vegas on May 4.
But he insists his deal with Golden Boy is not about money.
Ogogo chose to go with former multi-weight world champion Oscar De La Hoya’s company because he hopes they will help him become a star on both sides of the Atlantic.
And the Lowestoft boxer, who has yet to decide who his trainer will be, can certainly talk the talk.
He said: “I sat in front of all the promoters and I told them I wanted to become a global superstar.
“I want to become Britain’s best middleweight boxer ever.
“When the guys got their MBEs recently I was gutted I missed out because I am such a patriotic Brit.
“I want the MBE, OBE and a knighthood.”
Ogogo’s decision to go with Golden Boy – rather than going with a British promoter – is revolutionary but he denies it was down to who offered the most cash.
He added: “It’s not about the money – I wasn’t offered a lot of money by Golden Boy. It’s about the long journey.
“Golden Boy create the biggest shows in the world. If you are good enough the money will come.”
Team GB’s boxing gold medallists Anthony Joshua and Luke Campbell have so far resisted the temptation to jump ship.
But Ogogo insists there were never any doubts for him about leaving the amateur ranks.
He added: “As an amateur I always wanted to go pro.”
And Golden Boy chief Richard Schaefer claims the American giants are looking to sign even more British boxing stars.
He said: “We want the Golden Boy dream team.
“We have worked with Ricky Hatton, Joe Calzaghe and David Haye before now.
“This time we are taking a young fighter from the start of his career.”Tags: Anthony Ogogo