|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
They're not only good for you, but they taste good, too. Sprouts are also a great source of vitamins, fiber, protein, anti-oxidants, and enzymes. A sprout is produced when a seed starts growing into a vegetable. Sprouts can grow from the seeds ofvegetables, from grains such as buckwheat, and frombeans. While Mung beans are perhaps the most commonsource of sprouts, you can also obtain good resultsfrom lentils, soybeans and chickpeas just to name afew.
Sprouts can be grown almost anywhere and the best partis you only need a few basic supplies to get started.By following a few simple steps, you can receive acontinual supply of nutritious sprouts.
While there are several commercial products availableto cultivate sprouts, here are some of the easiestmethods to help you get started.
- Growing Sprouts in Flower Pots -
1. Start with a clean clay or plastic flower pot. Makesure there is a hole in the bottom of the pot to ensuregood drainage. Then place a piece of cheesecloth ormuslin in the bottom of the pot over the hole so thatthe seeds/beans cannot fall out.
2. Next, soak the seeds or beans overnight and thenput them in the pot. Remove any that are broken ordamaged. Cover the plant pot with a dish.
3. Once a day, hold the pot under running water for afew minutes. This is to soak the seeds/beansthoroughly.
4. Once the sprouts begin to show, remove the dish andcover the pot with a piece of clear plastic wrap to letin the light. Place the sprouting pot near a windowthat allows daylight but is not in direct sunlight.
- Growing the Sprouts in Trays -
1. Soak the seeds or beans overnight. Remove any thatare broken or damaged before you begin the sproutingprocess.
2. Select a low, flat dish (like a pie plate) or tray.You can purchase growing trays wherever plantingsupplies are sold.
3. Next, spread out a 2-inch layer of soil and thensprinkle the soaked seeds or beans on top of the soil.
4. Cover the seeds/beans with four layers of dampnewspaper.
5. Cover the top of the tray with clear plastic wrap.
6. When the sprouts start to lift the plastic cover,(usually about three days) remove the newspaper.
7. Place the tray in a window so that the light canturn the sprouts green. You will need a space to placethe sprouting tray that receives daylight but is not indirect sunlight.
8. Because the thin layer of soil dries out quickly,water twice each day.
9. After about 8-10 days, you will have sprouts tallenough to harvest.
- Growing Sprouts in a Jar -
1. Soak the seeds, grains, or beans in lukewarm waterovernight in a wide-mouth glass jar. Remove any thatare broken or damaged before you begin the sproutingprocess. (Sprouting increases the seed volume.4-tablespoons will be sufficient for a quart sizecontainer.)
2. In the morning, pour off the water in the jar andrinse the seeds/beans thoroughly.
3. Place a piece of cheesecloth or muslin over themouth of the jar. Use a rubber band to hold thematerial securely in place. This makes rinsing easier.
4. To keep the sprouts constantly damp, repeat therinsing 2-3 times a day. Remember to drain any excesswater because the sprouts should not stand in water.
5. Keep the jar away from the light for the first fewdays.
6. When the seeds/beans begin to sprout, (usuallyabout the forth day) move the jar into the light toactivate the chlorophyll and turn the sprouts green.
- Harvesting and Storing the Sprouts -
Newly germinated grain, seed, and sprouts, increase infood value in the very first period of growth. Grainsshould be harvested and eaten from when they are sixdays old until they are 4-5 inches tall. To harvest,just take your kitchen scissors and cut what you need.
Sprouts from beans, peas, etc., are ready earlier andcan be eaten when they are 3-6 days old, depending onthe type of sprout. For spouts grown in no soil or inseed trays, you can harvest the green "grass" when itstarts to grow. Sprouts, from grain sown in jars, areready sooner and are edible even before they turngreen. Seeds sown in soil take a little longer.
If necessary, wash the sprouts thoroughly to remove theseed coat. Sprouts need to be stored in therefrigerator once they are ready to eat. Put thesprouts in tight sealing bags, and they will remainflavorful and crisp for one to two weeks. Rinsing thesprouts daily under cold water can extend their life.
Sprouts may be frozen by blanching them over steam forthree minutes and then cooling them in ice water. Drainthem and pack into freezer containers.
By growing your own sprouts, you will save yourselfmoney because it is less expensive to buy sprout seedsand grow and harvest the sprouts yourself than it isto buy the sprouts from a market. Sprouting at hometakes only a few minutes a day, and can produce a goodpart of your daily requirements of the nutrients youneed from fresh produce. The hassles are minor, thecosts are low, and the freshness is wonderful.
Pia Nutro operates http://www.forvegetables.comShe has studied nutrition and understands the importance of vegetables in the diet. Visithttp://www.forvegetables.com often for up to date information on vegetables.
USDA Team Nutrition Grants Promote Healthier Meals for Our Nation's ... - USDA.gov (press release) (blog)
Shakopee Mdewakanton and National Partners Launch $5 Million Native ... - Indian Country Today Media Network
Nutrition fair offers tried-and-true advice β and unexpected nuggets too - Foster's Daily Democrat
Nutrition News: Diageo to List Nutrition Info, Paleo Diet Debated, Changes at ... - Healthy Eats (blog)
Discover Which Fruit and Vegetables Help Relieve Arthritic Pain
If you or someone you know suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, youknow how painful and debilitating it can be. If you haven'twalked a mile in those shoes, you can't imagine how frustratingit can be.
Fruit for Breakfast - The Secret to a Healthy Life
Do you want more energy? How about more of the vitamins, minerals and enzymes that your body craves? Try eating fruit for breakfast! Fresh fruit - apples, grapefruit, strawberries, cherries, oranges, kiwi, melon, and grapes all count. In fact, any fruit works - and there are so many to choose from.
What is the Cause?
The question most people think they need an answer to is what is the cause of their this or that? Many people pay it lip service, but what is cause really? Going with the bucket analogy, what is the cause of one of the symptoms or diseases not being covered by water, or being expressed? Could it be that water is leaking out of the bucket through the holes? Which hole is the "cause" of the symptoms or disease being expressed? That is kind of a trick question.It is not just one hole that causes a symptom or disease to be expressed.
Calcium: the Miracle Mineral
We've heard it not only once or twice or even thrice but a lot of times. If you want healthy bones and teeth then pack up on the Calcium intake.
Oregano: Nature's Antibiotic and Antiseptic
Many of us sprinkle oregano on our pizza and stews without realizing its impressive healing powers. But oregano is much more than a flavorful herb.
Summer Sun Cures
With summer comes more sun and with more sun comes an extra desire to be outdoors and with spending additional time outdoors comes ? you guessed it, sunburn.We all know the major importance of using sunscreen these days.
The Liquid Vitamin Mineral Approach
Liquid vitamin mineralThe liquid vitamin mineral dietary supplement is a must have for maximum vitality and health. In today's fast food environment most of us do not get the proper balance of food for the necessary for optimal health Unfortunately the body only absorbs 10 to 20 percent of the nutrients found in traditional pills and capsules.
Beauty Foods That Will Keep You Young and Healthy
You've heard that old saying: True beauty comes from within. Well, now nutritional experts have confirmed that you really are what you eat.
Things You Should Know about Vitamin K's Unique Power
How well do you know about vitamin K? This vitamin is probably not as popular as other vitamins. But still you need this vitamin for your health.
Dietary Sources of Glutathione
DIETARY SOURCES OF GLUTATHIONE: Glutathione (GSH) is an antioxidant and detoxifying agent whose protective role has been demonstrated in numerous clinical studies. GSH is synthesized rapidly in the liver, kidneys, and other tissues of the body, including the gastrointestinal tract.
Do You Know Your Bodys ph And Its Relation To Your Health
Do you know your ph? By getting ph strips at a pharmacy, pool store or lab you can test your urine in the moring and see it's range. A good range is between 6.
Nutrition as Attention Deficit Disorder ADHD Alternative Treatment: Help is as Close as the Kitchen
The quality of food we eat (or lack thereof) has a profound affect on Attention Deficit Disorder and ADHD. For many people, nutrition alone can effectively work as an ADHD alternative treatment.
I am sure you have heard you have to build more muscle so you can burn more fat. I'm sure you have also heard that you have to put your body into extreme calorie deficit in order to lose weight.
When Is The Penny Going To Finally Drop For People?
Hi Readers,My message today is simple short and perhaps blunt to many of you. Our body's function very similar to a motor car and I see so often many many people over complicating their diets thinking they need a supplement for this and a supplement for that not true!Do you over complicate driving your car?Probably not.
How To Treat and Prevent Low Carb Diet Headaches
Strict "no carb" phases of low carb diets have developed a reputation for giving dieters severe headaches. Dietitians have identified a number of different factors that could cause these headaches.
Eating to Health? Think Again!
So, what is new about this that you already don't know? Think again. It is not what-you-are-aware that is important, but are-you -alert, that is.
Protective Effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 appear to reduce the risk of heart attack. A 20-year project at the University of Leyden in the Netherlands, comparing the eating habits of more than 800 men at risk of heart disease, found that men who ate more than an ounce of fish a day had a 50 percent lower rate of heart attacks.
Garlic - Join Me And I΄ll Show You Why Garlic Can Save Your Life
Are you worried yet about your health? Are you anxious about your heart, or about the possibility of contracting cancer? If so, you are not alone, and your concerns are quite valid. Cancer and heart disease are today's major killers, and as of now, we are yet to find a safe and effective drug, that can prevent these diseases.
Why Digestive Enzymes Are Vital To Good Health!
Most digestive disorders develop because of the bodys inability to produce sufficient enzymes for health-enhancing digestion and proper nutrient absorption. Enzyme depletion results in improper digestion and absorption, leading to chronic disordersMalabsorption is the inability of the cells of the body to obtain nutrients from the foods consumed.
Poor Dental Hygiene May Account for Poor Health
Bright white teeth and fresh breath does not necessarily mean you have a healthy mouth! General health is directly related to gum health. Gum disease has been linked to several medical conditions such as stroke, diabetes, heart attack and worsening lung disease.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.