9 Tips to Stop Food Cravings and Help You With Your Diet
Most of us are "regular" people. We don't eat the perfect dietall the time and have our struggles with food, same as everyoneelse. But having an awareness of this fact and knowing a littlebit about our health and food nutrition can help when it comes tomaking wise decisions.
Many people struggle with food "cravings." Studies tell us thatit's fairly common for food cravings to happen at certain times,quite often at around bedtime. Your guard may be down, you mayhave had an unusually hard day, and off you go on yournot-so-merry way to find that tasty treat. Fatigue and stressoften combine to take their toll on the best of intentions.
When food cravings are unconstrained, what starts out as abedtime snack quickly turns into a full blown feedingfrenzy...not something most of us fully understand or appreciate.We head to kitchen and every other place where food can hide,clearing a path as we go.
Most food cravings are not about satisfying a nutritional need orimbalance. They seem to be more emotionally related, or Godforbid, are caused by plain old gluttony. Exactly why weover-indulge is not completely understood, however our knowledgeabout this subject continues to grow.
Listed below are some thoughts and ideas about food cravings:
- If the food isn't available, you can't eat it! Empty the cookiejar and keep it that way! Keep healthy food choices on-hand.
- Recognize the feelings and emotions that lead-up to a foodcraving. Do you have food cravings when you're bored, lonely, orstressed? If you can identify a trigger, you can deal with theemotion that's making you desire a certain food. Try to deal withthe triggers in the best way you can.
- Sometimes, even recognizing that a craving is about to happendoesn't seem to help. Don't beat yourself-up. There is alwaystomorrow. Call a friend, make good use of your support networkand share your feelings with someone.
- Get enough sleep. When you're tired, you're more likely tocrave things.
- Never give-up. When you "slip", press-in, bear-down, get agrip, do whatever is necessary to re-gain control. Try topractice restraint most of the time, but don't get legalistic andun-balanced in your weight loss approach. Think moderation andnot abstinence at all times!
- Understand that self-control and discipline by themselves,won't cut it! If you depend totally on yourself for control, youwill fail. Forming caring and supportive relationships isrequired. If you do not currently have a support network, startbuilding one TODAY.
- Exercise. It increases feel-good endorphins that cut down onyour cravings. Try to get at least 30 minutes of physicalactivity every day.
- Use moderation. Instead of stuffing yourself with every kind offood hoping that your craving will go away, eat 100 to 200calories of your "craved" food.
- Substitute with low-fat foods and complex carbs. If you'rehungry for chocolate, eat non-fat chocolate yogurt. Try fig barsor raisins for a sweet craving.
- Never skip a meal. Eat every three to five hours. Try sixsmaller meals or regular meals with nutritious snacks.
- Understand that hunger craving are oftentimes stress related.Practice other ways to treat chronic stress - a walk in the park,spiritual connections, a cozy fireplace, baths...all thesestimulate neurochemicals that activate regions of the brain thatstimulate pleasure. Relaxation techniques may work by reducingthe psychological drives on stress output, which can be the rootcauses of stress. Bottom line, substitute pleasurable experiencesfor comfort foods.
- Beware of certain medications. They can stimulate appetite.Drugs used for the treatment of depression and bipolar disordercan be appetite stimulants. Other drugs, both prescription andover the counter, may influence appetite as well. If you are on amedication, and troubled by food cravings, discuss this with yourdoctor or pharmacist. You may be able to find an alternative thatdoesn't send your cravings out of control.
- Distract Yourself. What's that old expression...idle hands arethe devils workshop? Get busy. Do anything other than cave-in toyour desire for food, and keep doing it until the cravingssubside.
- One final thought, take a look inside your refrigerator andkitchen cabinets and do some general "house cleaning." Throw-outall that unhealthy stuff that is waiting to sabotage your diet,and start shopping more wisely. A little forethought and carefulplanning will go a long way for improving your chances ofsuccess.
Eat wisely, be happy, and live long!
The information contained in this article is for educational purposes only and is not intended to medically diagnose, treat or cure any disease. Consult a health care practitioner before beginning any health care program.
Water And Good Hydration
The key to good hydration is drinking a lot of water before, during and after any workout or activity. Water is essential for proper bodily function.
Reasons to Eat Organic Food
Your healthOrganically grown fruit and vegetables are not covered in a cocktail of chemicals - even after washing, a conventionally grown apple may have 20 chemicals on its skin.Conventionally grown fruit and vegetables contain more water and less vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants than organically grown produce.
Beware of Eating Too Much Protein
The typical American diet already provides plenty of protein and there is no point in adding any more, unlike fat cells, there is no place in the body to store protein so the excess is eliminated or is seen as fat rather than muscle.So what you need to do is to consume just enough protein to allow your muscles to be healthy, perform work and grow.
Introduction to Detox Diets
Detoxifying the body has become an apparent key preventative measure to all kinds of health problems. Since most of us are busy, and unable or unwilling to maintain a strict diet in order to completely eliminate all the toxins from our body.
Did You Start Your Life With Enough Probiotics?
Why does disease begin in the digestive tract? Yourdigestive tract is your first line of defense when it comesto your health. This is because of the good bacteria thatresides there.
Avoiding Mental Disorders Through the Aid of Vitamins and Minerals
When we think about the benefits of being ensuring a good bill of health by keeping track of our daily intake of prescribed vitamins, minerals and as well as the other nutrients that are needed by your body in order to stay healthy. It is important to be conscious of the fact that deficiencies in the daily intake of vitamins and minerals can negatively affect not only your physical capabilities but your how your mind functions as well.
Like the Sun, Moon, and Earth, there are three kinds of vegetarians in existence: ovo-lacto, a vegetarian that eats vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes, seeds and nuts, as well as eggs and dairy products. Lacto, a vegetarian that eats everything the "ovo-lacto" does, except eggs.
Nutrition Know-how: Seven Simple Ways to Eat Healthier (with Strawberry Orange Sorbet Recipe)
The key to better health is learning the difference between healthy and unhealthy nutrients. The choices we make greatly affect our health.
Clues for Fibromyalgia Relief
Fibromyalgia is a chronic and potentially life-altering disorder with symptoms such as extreme muscle pain, extraordinary fatigue and multiple tender and painful points. Fibromyalgia itself tends to be similar in many aspects to rheumatic diseases although it differs from arthritis in that there is no known inflammation or damage to the joints, muscles or tissues.
There is No Miracle Cure for Arthritis, but Improving Your Diet can Help
Arthritis - if you suffer from this illness, I don't have to tell you how bad it is. If you don't suffer from it yet, keep reading - I want to make sure you will do everything in your power to prevent yourself from getting it.
The Hidden Price of Being Healthy
What I am also going to point out is the not-so-obvious cost of not being healthy. But, as you know, nothing in life is free.
The Importance of Nutrition and Lifestyle
Eating healthy and taking care of yourself is essential to obtain optimal wellness. Most people roll their eyes or moan when confronted with these ideas, but, in reality, taking care of yourself is not as hard, time consuming, expensive, or dull as most would have you believe.
Omega 3s: Using Our Heads to Nourish Our Brains
We sometimes hear about ways that we can take care of our organs by the foods we injest. When we think about our diet we cannot help but think about the effect our choices have on our heart, liver and other internal and external organs.
Helping Your Immune System Win The War Against Disease
Just as our country is currently engaged in a war against covert terrorism, your immune system is similarly waging a constant war against the hidden enemies within your body.This war started before you were born and it will continue until you die.
Confessions of a Personal Fitness Trainer
Last year I had a number of clients who started stubbornly on the Atkins diet despite my warnings. Immediately I saw almost profound results in their weight loss.
Improve Your Eating Habits.
5 Tips for Dining Out and Eating Healthily
Here's food for thought! Did you know the average restaurant mealhas over 1,000 calories? That's enough to blow any healthy eatingplan. Fortunately, by following a few simple guidelines, you candine out without having to sacrifice good taste and nutrition.
Whats Missing Could Be Making You Sick
Here's something you probably don't know. The fruit and vegetables you eat today are not as nutritious as the food from fifty years ago.
That Cookie Might Kill You!
Chances are you may have had a food product that contained Trans Fatty Acids. What's the danger you ask? I 'm about to share with you just a little of the hidden dangers and certain death that some of the most popular foods you eat can cause.
You Can Have Healthy Skin
With new research, new products and new skin protection advice popping up all the time, it is hard to figure out the best things to do to improve and protect your skin.A skin care program is the combination of skin care products and a routine that will be most beneficial to the skin.