|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Unhealthy Foods: Five Sneaky Foods Revealed
With the array of different diets and diet foods available to help with weight loss and health, it's sometimes hard to figure out what's healthy and what's not. Of course, part of the problem is that people have different health needs: for example, while fruit juice is often a good source of vitamins and other nutrients, some people with diabetes may find that some fruit juices have more sugar than they can tolerate. So what sounds healthy may not be healthy for you. How to tell? Look past the advertising to get label-savvy and nutrition aware so that you can avoid sneaky foods that seem like a good idea but may clash with your health needs.
Check out these examples:
1) Bottled waters: Water seems like the one thing on earth that has to be natural? But many bottled waters, even ones promoted by athletes, may contain things besides water, including minerals and salts. Some bottled waters contain a big chunk of sodium, so if you're on a low-sodium diet, check that label before you buy.
2) "Low fat" foods: By law, foods labeled "low fat" contain less than 3 grams of fat per serving. But check the label so you know what you're getting. First, check serving sizes: if serving sizes are very small, and you're planning a traditionally-sized serving, your intake of fat may be larger than you expect. Second, make sure you're not trading off the benefits of lower fat foods for extra sugar and salt. Manufacturers may increase salt, sugars or artificial flavorings to compensate for the loss of flavor in low-fat foods. So, if you're trying to lower your blood pressure (for example) check to make sure you aren't getting a big dose of salt; if you're trying to move towards a more organic or natural diet, you may want to compare levels of artificial sweetening.
3) "Low carb" alternatives to regular prepackaged foods may also trade off carbohydrate content for other things that you might be trying to avoid, so get savvy about reading labels on prepackaged food. Keep in mind that the FDA has not yet fully determined what the qualifications are to be a "low carb" food, so double-check the label to see if the carb content fits your needs. In addition, a number of reports suggest that "low carb" labels are being used inappropriately, so look at the label to see the actual number of carbohydrate grams.
4) Guacamole: Avocados look like vegetables, but they are actually the fruit of an avocado tree. Fruits and vegetables are generally considered to be healthy foods - just look at the number of servings that are recommended in the new FDA pyramid. But avocados are a sneaky fruit - unlike most others, they are full of fat, which accounts for their less sweet taste and waxy feel. One medium sized avocado has about 31 grams of fat, equivalent to a Baskin Robbins milk shake! So if you're trying to reduce the amount of fat or cholesterol in your diet, watch that guacamole. If on the other hand, you're looking to increase vitamins C and A in your diet, avocados pack a positive punch.
5) Fish: Fish can be a great source of nutrition, with lean protein and many nutrients. Make sure that if you're eating processed fish, it's packed in something that you don't mind eating - if you're cutting down on fats, tuna packed in oil isn't for you. Lastly, not all seafood has the same nutritional content as fish - unlike other fish, shrimp has a lot of cholesterol, even before you add butter or mayo.
Clinical Reference Systems, Adult Health Advisor, "Food labels," 2004.
Food and Drug Administration (FDA), "Fact Sheet: Carbohydrates," 2004
Schafer, E., et al, "Bottled Water: to drink or not to drink?," Iowa State University, PM 1813, 2000
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "What you need to know about mercury in fish and shellfish," EPA-823-F-04-009, 2004
U.S. Department of Agriculture, "National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference," 2004
Copyright (C) Shoppe.MD, PhenForum.com and Ian Mason, 2004-2005
Learn more about health, diet and exercise at our weight loss forum.
All the best,
Catholic Charities Senior Nutrition Program will not have to reduce days in ... - Imperial Valley Press
The Sugar-Coated Truth
It is believed that cane sugar was discovered before the birth of Christ. As early as 500 B.
6 Ways to Eat More Healthfully
With so much 'diet advice' around today it is little wonder if you feel somewhat confused. Whether you are wanting to lose weight, maintain your weight or help your family eat more healthfully.
Heart Friendly Foods
Heart disease results when plaque builds up inside the arterial walls, which causes a partial or complete obstruction of blood flow. This reduces flow of blood to heart and may result in angina.
How Good Is Your Health?
It is a question we must ask ourselves continually if we want to live a healthy life. Your health is your most prized possession.
You Are What You Eat, Do You Dig Your Grave With Your Tongue? Boost Your Immune System
I know that the headline is a oldie, but it really is a goodie and is so very true of most of us, in this age of fast takeaway foods giving us all the foods that we should not be eating if we wish to maintain good health. What you must do is have natural nutrition that will boost your immune system.
Fat: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
When it comes to planning a healthy diet, fat is a complex subject. It's useful to understand some basic information.
Are Your Cells Talking To Each Other?
Are Your Cells Talking To Each Other?Communication! It permeates our lives. We communicate for many reasons such as: 1) to get what we want, 2) to get rid of what we don't want, 3) to let people know how we feel, 4) to show people we care, 5) to work productively with co-workers, etc.
Herbs that Heal Naturally
The word herb is used to refer to any part of a plant used for flavoring or medicine. Herbs for relaxation so sleep will come, and relieving pain or water retention have the welcome plus of being void of the side effects that come with chemical medications.
Lingzhi A Miracle Herb For Peak Health
The secret of success is knowing how to deal with your body to maintain peak health condition. The dictum Health is Wealth hold more truth in the modern context than ever before.
Helping Your Immune System Win The War Against Disease
Just as our country is currently engaged in a war against covert terrorism, your immune system is similarly waging a constant war against the hidden enemies within your body.This war started before you were born and it will continue until you die.
Improve Your Health With Fiber!
Your fiber intake is a critical factor in weight loss and general well-being. Health professionals advise that adults should eat at least 25-35 grams of fiber each day.
Why are Free Form Essential Amino Acids Necessary and What to Look For!
1. Look for high quality, crystalline, free-form, amino acids (AAs) Most amino acid blends on the market are actually reduced milk or soy proteins.
5 Favorite Summer-Break Tips
You can trust me that I make sure to take care to have as EnergyRich? a vacation as possible (why come back from vacation feeling bloated, a few pounds heavier, experiencing heartburn etc, right?). So I wanted to share my 5 favorite ways (food-wise and fun-wise) of making that happen!Food For Summer Vacation1.
Help Your Heart Grow
I turned into my parents' driveway in Maryland and parked the car. Before I could even step out and close the door, Mom flew out of the backyard, gesturing frantically.
Death, Aging, Rejuvenation (Part 4)
Biological clockObviously you need biological clock to time and alarm the point when you need to die and when you need to age. Aging is the same death as in those one-day butterflies, but a little bit prolonged one.
Guidelines to a Healthy Diet
The American Heart Association recommends that you eat a variety of foods from the different food groups. In order for women to lose one to two pounds a week, they should consume between 1200 and 1500 calories a day.
The Importance of Water
Water is the most abundant substance in the human body. It is a component of virtually everything, except tooth enamel and bone.
Learn About Food Nutrition Facts
Food nutrition factsFinding food nutrition facts and dietary nutrition used to be almost impossible because of the mountains of facts scattered all about in libraries and books. Lets face it most of us aren't going to cuddle up to a book on vitamins and minerals.
The 9 Most Common Mistakes to Avoid When Reading a Food Label
NutrientsFat, Sugar, Sodium and CarbohydrateThe sections on a food label shows the name of a nutrient and theamount of that nutrient provided by one serving of food. You mayneed to know this information, especially if you have high bloodpressure, diabetes or are eating a diet that restricts certainnutrients such as sodium or carbohydrates.
How to Help Your Picky Eater
One of the most common questions I am asked is how to help a picky eater.† If you're worried that your child won't get enough nutrients from a limited selection of foods, the good news is that because the American food supply is super-fortified, nutrient deficiencies are rare.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.