|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
How to Help Your Picky Eater
One of the most common questions I am asked is how to help a picky eater. If you're worried that your child won't get enough nutrients from a limited selection of foods, the good news is that because the American food supply is super-fortified, nutrient deficiencies are rare.
1. Eat together as a family and let your children see you try new foods (even if you're not sure you'll like them). Children often identify with a parent's eating style, so if you don't like something, it's not fair to expect your children to eat it. The opposite is also true - children's tastes are more sensitive than adults, so just because you like something doesn't mean they will.
2. Include your children in writing your shopping list, food shopping, and meal preparation. These can be fun ways to teach kids practical skills, while giving them some say in what foods they see on their plates.
3. Walk away from power struggles. When your terrible two-year old crosses his or her arms and says, "NO!" to food, don't let it rattle you. This is one way kids show independence. Next time, try offering two different foods so that your child has the ability to assert him or herself without resorting to not eating at all.
4. Don't go fat free. Fat in foods carries flavor and it really does improve taste. In reasonable amounts, it doesn't make kids fat, it gives them energy and helps their brains grow. Adding butter or cheese to cooked vegetables and salad dressing to raw ones actually helps their bodies absorb the nutrients.
5. Some kids are naturally suspicious of new things, including foods. If you continue to include unfamiliar items in your regular family meals without forcing your child to try them, he or she may eventually feel more comfortable and willing. Don't get upset if your child eats around the new food - just encountering it is helpful.
6. Trust your child's sense of hunger and fullness. Children have small stomachs and need to eat smaller amounts and more frequently than adults. Never force your children to finish everything on their plates, because appetites change with growth, and sometimes children really do need less to eat than they did at an earlier stage. Serve them small portions at first and then provide more if they're still hungry. Large amounts on the plate can overwhelm some children and turn them off from trying a new food, especially if they think they'll have to eat it all.
7. Avoid bribing picky eaters with dessert. This just makes dessert seem even better and the other food even worse.
8. Buy and provide nutrient-fortified foods, as well as foods that are naturally higher in nutrients (for example 100% fruit juice instead of fruit punch), so that you can feel confident that when your kids do eat, they are getting bang for their buck.
No one likes to eat everything. Exposure to lots of foods without pressure is the best way to help kids find the nutritious foods that they like best. That's why they come home from a friend's house raving about a dish they won't even consider at home.
Finally, if mealtime has become stressful in your home for any reason, it will be difficult for children to eat appropriately. Changes in eating behavior are sometimes a reflection of stress or anxiety. In these cases, counseling and an overhaul of mealtime may be necessary. Consult your pediatrician for advice or try one of Ellyn Satter's books. A healthy relationship with food is one of the best gifts you can give your child, far more important than the one food that they will or won't eat.
Jessica Setnick is a registered dietitian in Dallas, Texas who travels the world spreading nutrition wisdom. As an accomplished speaker and writer, Jessica's passion is promoting a positive relationship with food and eating as a key component of a healthy and happy life. Find out more or contact Jessica to speak at your event by visiting her website at www.understandingnutrition.com.
Water And Good Hydration
The key to good hydration is drinking a lot of water before, during and after any workout or activity. Water is essential for proper bodily function.
The Benefits Of Drinking Herbal Teas
Herbal teas have long been known to have medicinal benefits as well as being tasty to drink! Some of my favorite teas are chamomile tea, jasmine tea and ginger tea. Each of these has a distinctive taste as well as health benefit.
Eating ... Gaining Weight ... How to Control the Urge to Splurge
I confess: I'm completely addicted to Pringles. My determinationweakens every time I think about munching into one, hearing thecrunch, and getting that first taste of its salty flavor.
The Virtues of Water
Did you know that much of our dry skin comes from not drinking enough water? If your skin is dehydrated, then what is drying up on the inside? The human body is over 70% water. Water is not only important for hydration, it is the primary transporter of nutrients throughout the body and is essential for proper bodily functions including elimination.
Snack Attack - How to Keep Your Hunger Between Meals from Getting the Best of You
The Benefits of SnackingYou may feel regretful about snacking, but snacks aren't necessarily bad for you.In fact, mini-meals several times a day can be beneficial.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a product of apple juice fermentation. Sounds like nothing extraordinary, but indeed its benefits are measureless.
Exposing the Best Source of Protein Myth
An American culture that is marked by a chronic lack of time and the need to achieve is often in pursuit of the "best" something or other. These "best" lists tend to improve time efficiency they help people make quick decisions without a lot of research or "trial and error".
Good Fat Diet or How to Choose the Best Foods for Your Family?
Some fats are good for you. Your body can't function without them.
The Versatility of Actinase Protein Complex
The ingredients list found on the back or side panel of every commercially available food product - with few exceptions - serves as the consumer's best starting point for understanding the real contents of each product. It discloses the ingredients that make up the product, sorted in order from most abundant to least abundant.
Take Control of Your Health
In large part, you're in control of your health, not your doctor. And taking control of your health doesn't really depend on whether or not you have medical conditions.
Calculating Your Calorie Needs
In order to eat fewer calories than you need, you have to determine how many calories you actually need. Adults can calculate their approximate energy needs using the following formula:A.
Simple Food and Diet Nutrition Remedies for Your Common Health Ailments
You are what you eat is a simple, time tested adage that still holds true today. There are non-medical remedies that can help with many of today's most common illnesses and conditions.
Inactive Alert: Essential Proteins for Sedentary People
The importance of protein in diet has been clearly established by nutritional scientists, and widely accepted by athletes. Among other vital functions, protein is indispensable for creating muscle.
Prevent Constipation and Other Health Ailments with Papaya
Constipation is a condition whereby the fecal matter traveling through your colon remains too long in your colon before traveling out of the rectum. You become aware that you are constipated if you have difficulty passing motion or take a few days to do one purge.
Is Vitamin E Beneficial Or Harmful? Cutting Through The Clutter Of Different Scientific Opinions
Numerous reports have recently appeared in both the lay and medical press questioning the value of vitamin E supplementation and suggesting that there are risks associated with its use even at doses previously thought to have been "safe". What do we do with the hundreds of studies and extensive clinical research that has been published in the medical literature suggesting benefit in cardiovascular disease, alzheimers, diabetes and other degenerative diseases? A search of the National Library of Medicine yields over 25,000 citations, many funded or sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other prestigious medical and scientific organizations.
Substitutes for Butter
Instead of Butter: Use top quality, cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil, from the first pressing, or flaxseed oil. The taste of virgin olive oil is appealing to millions of people around the world, so why not adopt it to your taste?Flaxseed oil is prized for health reasons and not for its taste.
What You Should Know About
I don't understand people sometimes. You know, there is a huge problem with our health care.
Stay Healty, Eat more Fish and Seafood
There are a lot of very good reasons to eat fish and seafood. Fish is a source of high quality protein, and is low in fat and cholesterol.
You Can Have Healthy Skin
With new research, new products and new skin protection advice popping up all the time, it is hard to figure out the best things to do to improve and protect your skin.A skin care program is the combination of skin care products and a routine that will be most beneficial to the skin.
The Sneak Attack of Trans- Fats
If you are like most people, you are probably confused about trans fats. What are they? Which foods have them? What is the health risk?The truth is, trans fats are everywhere.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © BoxingScene.com LLC. All rights reserved.