by Ronnie Nathanielsz
Former WBO, Ring Magazine and WBC Diamond super bantamweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire says no decision has been made as of yet on who his opponent will be in his return to the ring from a shocking loss to former Cuban two-time Olympic gold medalist Guillermo Rigondeaux last April 13 in New York.
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum had passed on three options to Donaire’s manager Cameron Dunkin which included Rigondeaux and former three-division champion Vic Darchinyan who was knocked out in the 5th round by Donaire in an IBF/IBO flyweight title fight on July 7, 2007 and No.1 ranked WBO featherweight Orlando Cruz, should Donaire decide to move up in weight.
Donaire told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard no decision has been made “not that I know of and I haven’t spoken to Cameron (Dunkin) as yet.”
However, Donaire did tell us that the opponent they are talking about is Darchinyan but said “I don’t know anything definite as yet” although Darchinyan has wanted a rematch since he was first knocked out.
Donaire had previously told the Standard he wanted a rematch with Rigondeaux “more than anything else” in an obvious desire to avenge what was to many an embarrassing loss for the top five pound for pound champion.
Donaire said his therapy is coming on very well after surgery on his shoulder for removal of a bone spur and the repair of two torn ligaments.
Donaire said “my arm is a lot better, I feel stronger.”