By Ronnie Nathanielsz
ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer says WBO light flyweight champion Donnie “Ahas” Nietes will face the toughest challenge to his title when he faces Mexico’s Moises Fuentes at the Waterfront Hotel in Cebu on March 2.
Aldeguer told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard that he had just received confirmation of the title defense but noted that “its going to be the toughest fight of Nietes.”
The youthful ALA Promotions president said that aside from being tall, Fuentes “can punch and also adjust.”
The Mexican is listed at 5’ 71/2” while Nietes is only 5’4. Fuentes who is moving up from minimum weight won the 105 pound WBO title by a split twelve round decision over southpaw Raul “Rayito” Garcia who had won the IBF title some years ago from Filipino Florante “Little Pacquiao” Condes also by a split decision.
Fuentes dropped Garcia in the 7th round but was himself dropped in round nine.
Fuentes is 27 years old and has a record of 16-1 with 8 knockouts. He defended his title with a 1st round knockout of Julio Cesar Felix on June 2 last year and the went on to score a 5th round TKO over Puerto Rican great Ivan Calderon after Calderon had outboxed Fuentes in the early rounds.
However, Fuentes came back strong and sent Calderon to the canvas three times in round five to sore an impressive win.
Aldeguer said the 30 year old Nietes who has a record of 31-1-3 with 17 knockouts is training hard and ready to defend his crown.
In his last defense on June 2, 2012 Nietes earned a twelve round unanimous decision over tough Mexican Felipe Salguero.Tags: Donnie Nietes , Moises Fuentes