by David P. Greisman
The man who left welterweight Nick Casal brutally injured and hospitalized with hundreds of stitches and numerous staples was sentenced last week to five years in prison, according to The Tonawanda (N.Y.) News.
Michael P. Vicki pleaded guilty in January to one count of attempted first-degree assault. Last year, Vicki had pleaded not guilty to a more serious charge of first-degree assault.
In written testimony provided to the court last year, Vicki “said the two men engaged in an altercation about 5:30 a.m. on May 12 after Casal paid a visit to his Portland Street home,” the Niagara Gazette reported at the time.
“Vicki contended that it was Casal who was the aggressor and he had no choice but to defend himself. According to his testimony, Vicki called the police following the incident and voluntarily sought medical treatment at a local hospital for his own injuries,” the Gazette article said.
Casal’s father said that his son was attacked after going to meet his ex-girlfriend at the home of the woman’s ex-boyfriend, according to the Associated Press. Casal’s father said his son was attacked while walking away with her, struck numerous times with what some reports have speculated was a golf club, others a crowbar.
Prior to the attack, Casal was to have fought Ruslan Provodnikov in June 2012. Instead, his last appearance was in October 2011, a third-round technical knockout win on the non-televised undercard of the first fight between Bernard Hopkins and Chad Dawson. That victory brought his record to 22-4-1 with 17 knockouts and 1 no contest.
Casal, 27, said late last year that he is back in training and plans to return to the ring. No fight is listed for him yet on BoxRec.com.
David P. Greisman is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America. Follow David on Twitter @fightingwords2 or send questions/comments via email at email@example.com