Heavyweight contender Odlanier Solis arrived in Istanbul (Turkey). The 2004 Olympic gold medalist will face US veteran Tony "Tiger" Thompson on March 22nd in Tekirdag. It is the clash of two former Klitschko foes: In March 2011 Solis lost to then WBC champion Vitali Klitschko in Cologne (Germany) due to a knee injury; Thompson had already two shots at Vitali's younger brother Wladimir in 2008 and 2012 but lost both fights.
"The winner of this bout will get another shot at the world title", says promoter Ahmet Oner. "With Vitali in retirement and Wladimir facing stiffs like Alex Leapai it's about time to bring back some action to the heavyweight scene. Both guys have a lot to win but even more to lose. So I am sure that it will be a hell of a fight."
Solis hit Istanbul yesterday with Miami based physician Osvaldo Nordelo to wrap up his training camp in Turkey. Tomorrow the team expects head coach Manny Masson who will be in Solis' corner for the Thompson fight. "Solis and Masson have been a very good team before. Manny was one of Solis' first coaches when he came to Germany in 2007. They have a good chemistry and I am sure that they will have the right game plan to beat Thompson", states Oner. "Solis loves Turkey. He loves the people and the hospitality. He is in great shape already and we gave him the best possible conditions over here to finalize his training camp. He will do one more week of sparring and then just focus on the fight."
NEW YORK: - Former world champion Joshua "The Grand Master" Clottey will head to Newcastle, Australia on APRIL 2 to clash with former two time WBA Champion and local favorite Anthony "the man" Mundine in a twelve round junior middleweight clash, it was confirmed today by Joe DeGuardia, Founder and President of Star Boxing.
"It's an excellent opportunity for Joshua, and we are glad that after extended negotiations with Brendan Bourke from BOXA Promotions this fight is officially on." said DeGuardia. "He's been training since his last victory in September looking for a big fight and Mundine presents a high risk/high reward type of fight. A win over Mundine will put him right back on track for a major fight in the United States."
"As a promoter we take pride in consistently providing our fighters with the best opportunities as we've also done most recently with world champion Demetrius Andrade, Chris Algieri and Delvin Rodriguez among others."
Sporting a record of 37-4-0 (22KO's), Clottey comes off a ten-round shutout decision over Los Angeles based veteran Dashon Johnson on September 14, 2013 at The Paramount in Huntington, New York as part of Star Boxing's acclaimed , "Rockin' Fights" series.
"I am now fighting at my best weight, 154 pounds, and Anthony Mundine is one stop on my road to the world championship" stated Clottey.
With an outstanding fourteen-year career that includes wins over former world champions Zab Judah and Diego Corrales, Clottey is perhaps best known to New York City area boxing fans for his war for the ages with Puerto Rican superstar Miguel Cotto on June 13, 2009 at Madison Square Garden.
Fighting in front of a capacity crowd of over 20,000 boxing fans, Clottey bloodied the WBO Welterweight Champion and although valiantly battled throughout, the judges awarded Cotto a split decision by the slimmest of margins.
The 38-year-old Mundine, 46-5-0 (27KO's), had an uneven 2013, losing an IBF World Title shot to fellow countryman Daniel Geale while also defeating boxing legend Shane Mosley via seventh round stoppage.
Most recently, the Sydney, Australia resident won a ten round unanimous decision over Gunnar Jackson on January 29th.
Paul McClosky pulls out of Bradley Saunders fight
Former British and European champ Paul McClosky has pulled out of the scheduled fight with unbeaten prospect, Bradley Saunders, due to a knee injury.
The fight was arranged for Saturday 29th March in Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle on the undercard of the British cruiserweight title clash between champion Jon Lewis Dickinson and challenger Neil Dawson.
The Irish southpaw stated on Twitter earlier this week, “Regrettably I will not be fighting on 29th March Newcastle due an injury on my knee, on medical advice I’ve been advised to withdraw #gutted”.
North East’s hot prospect, Saunders shared his disappointment on hearing the news, “Not sure what’s happened, I was training my heart out for it. They said there was an injury but I think he just didn’t fancy it at all”.
Saunders was ecstatic at the prospect of facing such a big name so early on in his fledgling professional career but the news from McClosky’s camp has left the undefeated light welterweight frustrated.
Using social network sites Facebook and Twitter, the County Durham star voiced his opinion, “Let you all hear it here first – I was willing to do what no other prospect has done for long time in taking chances and fighting top people in my weight division. Only eight fights and fighting one of the best in Britain, Paul McClosky. The man has just pulled out, hope we get that fight when he’s sorted. The longer he leaves it, the worse it will be for him”.
Bradley’s team is now desperately searching for a new opponent to step into the fray at just four weeks’ notice. “My opponent will be announced in the next few days. I will be fighting still and it will be a good opponent for the public”.
In his previous two fights he took on British Masters Bronze champion Gareth Heard at four week’s notice and headlined his own show in Newcastle against the current Hungarian lightweight champion Gyorgy Mizsei Jr. Both were stopped midway through the contest in the fourth round after multiple knockdowns.
Saunders is pushing on in the quest for titles in 2014 by attempting to take on the light welterweight division’s big names. Sitting rather impatiently just outside the top ten, Saunders is not just knocking on the door but battering it down. The only question is – who will answer?