Bad luck for Yoan Pablo Hernandez (27-1, 13 KOs): The IBF World Champion broke his left hand during a sparring session ahead of his upcoming fight on February 2. Hernandez was set to defend his title against Eric Fields (21-1, 15 KOs) at the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin, Germany as part of the show topped by the European Light Heavyweight Championship between Eduard Gutknecht (24-1, 9 KOs) and Juergen Braehmer (38-2, 30 KOs), which will still go ahead as planned.
Frederick Ness, Managing Director of Sauerland Event said: "We will stand by Pablo and will make sure that he receives the best medical attention out there. We are all hoping that he gets back as soon as possible."
Unfortunately for Hernandez, this is not the first time that his left hand is a cause for concern. He suffered the same sort of fracture during his impressive performance against Steve Cunningham back in February 2012.
A replacement for the IBF Cruiserweight Championship has already been found. 28-year-old Robert Woge (10-0, 9 KOs) will fight instead of Hernandez with his opponent to be announced shortly. The light heavyweight is known for his spectacular and hugely entertaining style and has won all of his ten professional bouts, with nine KOs to his name. In addition, the fans at the Max-Schmeling-Halle can also look forward to their local heroes Dustin Dirks (26-0, 19 KOs), Enrico Kölling (3-0) as well as Tyron Zeuge (5-0, 4 KOs). Also fighting in Berlin will be Dominik Britsch (26-1-1, 9 KOs) who gives his super-middleweight debut.
Tickets for the big fight night at the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin, Germany can be purchased at www.boxen.com and www.eventim.de .
New York - World ranked and undefeated heavyweight Joe "The Future" Hanks suffered a hand injury in training yesterday causing the cancellation of his FEBRUARY 2 main event showdown with Richard Carmack, which had been set for the Times Union Center in Albany, NY, it was announced today by Star Boxing.
"Joe had been training in Los Angeles for this fight and suffered a hand injury which caused this fight to be called off and unfortunately cancelling our FEBRUARY 2 event at the TU Center" said DeGuardia. "We're very sorry to disappoint the terrific fans in the Albany area and we hope to return there in the near future and work with the great team at the TU. "
LOS ANGELES - The first SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING event of 2013 now has an intriguing opener, with unbeaten Texas junior middleweight Jermell "Iron Man" Charlo battling his toughest opponent to date in Pennsylvania veteran Harry Joe Yorgey in a ten-round bout at The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nev. on Saturday, January 26. The telecast will begin live at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on SHOWTIME (delayed on the West Coast).
In the main event, Argentinean knockout artist Lucas Matthysse defends his WBC Interim Super Lightweight World Championship against Mike "The Silent Assassin" Dallas Jr. while the co-feature will see a ten-round junior middleweight bout between warriors Selcuk Aydin and Jesus Soto Karass.
This stellar SHOWTIME tripleheader is presented by Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Corona and AT&T with Matthysse vs. Dallas being presented in association with Arano Box Promotions and Goossen Tutor Promotions, Aydin vs. Soto Karass being presented in association with Arena Box Promotions and Charlo vs. Yorgey being presented in association with Banner Promotions. P reliminary fights will air live on SHOWTIME EXTREME® beginning at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast).
Tickets priced at $150, $100, $75, $50 and $25, plus applicable taxes, fees and services charges, along with a limited number of VIP suite seats priced at $125, are on sale now and may be purchased at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Box Office, all Ticketmaster locations, online at www.ticketmaster.com or by phone at (800) 745-3000.
After putting together three big wins in 2012, Houston's Jermell Charlo (19-0, 9 KO's) is looking forward to topping that total in 2013 and he begins that quest on January 26. The winner of bouts over Chris Chatman, Denis Douglin and Dashon Johnson last year, the talented 22-year-old known as the "Iron Man" will be ready for Harry Joe Yorgey in the SHOWTIME opener.
A blue collar boxer who is in the business of showing up to fight from the opening bell to the final one, Bridgeport, Pennsylvania's Harry Joe Yorgey (25-1-1, 12 KO's) is one of the toughest veterans in the fight game today. A professional since 2002, the 35-year-old Yorgey has won nine of his last 10 fights, with his only loss coming to Alfredo Angulo in 2009. 3-0 with two knockouts since that setback, Yorgey is planning to give Charlo a test he won't forget.Tags: Yoan Pablo Hernandez , Jermell Charlo , Joe Hanks , Eric Fields , Hernandez-Fields , Hernandez vs Fields