Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team

Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | The Wire |  Audio  |  Arcade
News: Canelo on 12/8, Mares-Moreno, Olympians, More - Boxing News
Advertisement
BoxingScene Archive
• Boxing Articles
• Boxing Interviews
• Breaking News
• Boxing Press Releases
• Boxing Results
• World Boxing News
Follow BoxingScene
 
Search BoxingScene

>>>Advanced Search<<<
• Register A Free Account
• Account Login
• Boxing Schedule
• Boxing Champions
• Boxing Downloads
• Boxing Forums
• Boxing News Wire
• Boxing Photos
• Boxing History
• Boxer Search
• Fantasy Betting
• Feedback
• Fitness and Health  
• Free Homepage
• Mixed Martial Arts
• Pound For Pound
• Upcoming Fight Archive
                                                                                                                                                            ...............

 Last update:  8/29/2012       Read more by Rick Reeno         
   
News: Canelo on 12/8, Mares-Moreno, Olympians, More
Share Click Here To Email Printable version Search BoxingScene Database 

By Rick Reeno

If he's successful on September 15th, WBC 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (40-0-1, 29KOs) will return to the ring for a third time in 2012. Canelo defends his title against Josesito Lopez (30-4, 18KOs) in the main event of a Showtime televised quadrupleheader at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has advised BoxingScene.com that his company does have a hold on the MGM Grand for December 8th, and the event's headliner will depend on the outcome of Canelo-Lopez. Last month, Canelo's trainer, Chepo Reynoso, told BoxingScene that he expects his boxer to defeat Lopez and then return on December 8.

QUILLIN LANDS GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY

Middleweight contender Peter Quillin (27-0, 20KOs) has landed a golden opportunity, says Schaefer. A deal was finalized for Quillin to face Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam (27-0, 17KOs) on October 20th at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

The WBO's full middleweight championship will be at stake. N'Jikam became the "interim-champion" after winning an eliminator against Max Bursak in May. The World Boxing Organization then ordered Dmitry Pirog to face N'Jikam. Pirog was stripped when he took a pass on the WBO's directive and accepted a lucrative offer to fight IBO/WBA "regular champion" Gennady Golovkin on HBO. However, Pirog suffered an injury and he was later replaced by EBU champion Grzegorz Proksa.

Quillin-N'Jikam is part of a Showtime televised tripleheader. In the main event, Danny Garcia will defend his WBA/WBC 140-pound titles in a rematch with Erik Morales, and Paulie Malignaggi will make the first defense of his WBA welterweight crown against Pablo Cesar Cano.

MARES-MORENO ON THE MOVE, SO IS ABRIL-BOGERE

After weeks of discussions, Schaefer and Showtime were able to reschedule the super bantamweight clash between WBC champion Abner Mares (24-0-1, 13KOs)and tough challenger Anselo Moreno (33-1, 12KOs).

The fight was previously scheduled for October 13th at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. The event has been switched to October 27th at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

Schaefer and Showtime were trying to avoid a head to head battle with HBO's doubleheader, which takes place at the Home Depot Center in Carson. HBO's doubleheader, put together by Top Rank, has one of the most anticipated cards in recent memory. WBO/IBF super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire will defend his titles against Japanese superstar Toshiaki Nishioka, and Brandon Rios will take on Mike Alvarado in a certified junior welterweight war.

In the interest of the boxing fans, Schaefer felt it was best to avoid a head to head scenario.

"Showtime helped a lot to see that we could move it to October 27th. We moved this great card to the Honda Center. It will be a tripleheader and we will be announcing the other two fights in the coming days," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.

The original co-feature to Mares-Moreno was a lightweight clash between Sharif Bogere (23-0, 15KOs) and Richard Abril (17-3-1, 8KOs) for the vacant WBA title. Because of scheduling conflicts in October, that fight will now get shifted to a likely date in November.

OLYMPIANS STAY ON SCHEDULE FOR OCTOBER 14th

When Golden Boy originally booked the Mandalay Bay as the venue for Mares-Moreno, they also booked the venue for the following day, October 14th, to stage a CBS televised event which is going to feature the pro debuts of several Olympic fighters from the 2012 London Games. According to Schaefer, Golden Boy's CBS card, featuring the Olympians, will remain on schedule for October 14th. The venue and location, however, is still to be determined.  

The fighters being showcased and other event details will be announced shortly.

Tags: Saul Alvarez , Anselmo Moreno , Abner Mares , Peter Quillin , Sharif Bogere , Hassan N’dam N’jikam , Richard Abril , Mares-Moreno , Mares vs Moreno , Abril-Bogere , Abril vs Bogere , Quillin-N'Jikam , Quillin vs N'Jikam


 

 User Comments and Feedback (must register to comment)

comment by ddangerous, on 08-30-2012
Looking forward to that triple header. Got some dynamite cards coming up. FINALLY.

comment by nycsmooth, on 08-30-2012
Alvarez is the most pprotected boxer in the WBC & I may bet my points in saying he fight none of top 5. when's he fight#1, he hasn't in a year...Lopez isn't even ranked @ 154...a sham...don't buy the fight guys, I'm not....

comment by ocelot, on 08-29-2012
Canelo is protected and has fought no one, but seriously, if Cotto really thought he could kick his ass he'd be begging for a fight, because it promises serious $$. Cotto's days of fighting 20-somethings are over.

comment by .:: JSFD26 ::., on 08-29-2012
[QUOTE=onechance87]Ducking cotto?Yeah thats y canelo been talking about fighting cotto while cotto dont mentions canelos name.[/QUOTE] That's because Canelo is A NOBODY at 154 and hasn't done sh1t to have the privilege of fighting someone like Cotto. :nutkick: Now hush. :boobies:

comment by budfr, on 08-29-2012
[QUOTE=WarMaidana]man alvarez is a joke, he doesnt deserve a fight at floyd. He has never fought anyone his size or with a pulse and he will prob get a shot at floyd what a joke. He should fight cotto and if he can beat him then he gets a shot. Or atleast he could fight somone like lara.[/QUOT...

Post A Comment/View More User Comments (22) 

   
 Top Headlines
 Advertisement
 
 MMA Headlines
 
 Related Articles
  Mayweather Suggests Ariza Now P...
  Klitschko-Pulev Rescheduled For...
  Kell Brook To Headline Massive ...
  Stephane Jamoye Named New Oppon...
  Tyson Cave Injured, Pulls Out O...
  Lopez-Castaneda Scoring Scandal...
  Pulev Questions Klitschko's Int...
  Klitschko Suffers Bicep Injury,...
  Hopkins-Kovalev Heading To Atla...
  California Judge Rules In Favor...

 Latest Active Forum Threads
Latest Active Threads
 Advertisement

 


Advertisement



Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright © 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC. All rights reserved.