News: Abraham-Stieglitz on EPIX, Jorge Maysonet, Mollo

Chicago heavyweight "Merciless" Mike Mollo (20-4, 12 KOs) says he's thought it over and there is only one fight that make sense for him right now.

"I want the Artur Szpilka rematch. That's the only fight I want."

Mollo suddenly finds himself a hot commodity after the back-and-forth war he and Poland's Szpilka waged on February 1 at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago. Despite fighting through a mask of blood from cuts caused by accidental fouls, Mollo had the undefeated Polish fighter on the floor twice before being knocked out by a perfect shot in round six. 

The 33-year-old had been fielding offers to face other fighters, but has now made up his mind: the rematch with Szpilka (13-0, 10 KOs) will be next.

"I want this rematch because of all the injustices in the last fight. I was winning! I should have never been allowed out for the sixth round with the cuts I had from elbows and headbutts. It should have been stopped and gone to the scorecards, like any other professional boxing match, but instead they sent me out to slaughter unable to see."

Mollo maintains that referee Celestino Ruiz (especially) made several serious errors in judgment during the fight that prevented him from winning.

"He (Ruiz) was cursing at me! You can hear it on TV. He deducted a point from me for nothing and started warning me he would disqualify me.  Not to mention all the fouls from Szpilka he missed. Even if you were at the fight, watch it on TV. Get a better look at the ESPN version and you'll see what I was dealing with. He told my corner my cuts were from legal punches after he had officially ruled they were from fouls. It was a disgrace."

Mollo says given time to prepare properly, he knows he has what it takes to derail the Szpilka express in a second fight.

"I know my abilities. I know how hard I punch. There's not a man in the heavyweight division that can take it when I crack them. I wasn't 100% for the first fight. I was lacking in some areas, and had some ring rust. Plus I broke my toe on Thanksgiving and couldn't run all of December. I only had four weeks to get in shape. I know if we fight again with a different ref and everybody watching to see if they try to cheat me, it'll be different."

Despite losing, Mollo says his performance against Szpilka has raised people's awareness of him at home and in the boxing world.

"Finally people got to see me for who I am. They got to see my abilities and will and my desire and see what Mike Mollo is about."

After putting on the kind of unforgettable display of heart and desire that Mike Mollo put on in his last fight, there are plenty of lucrative avenues he could take. But first he has a score to settle.

"I want Szpilka. That's what needs to be done. So let's do it."

NEW YORK -- World championship boxing returns to EPIX this month. Two- division world champion "King" ARTHUR ABRAHAM will defend his WBO super middleweight crown against the former champion he dethroned, ROBERT STIEGLITZ, in a rematch of their “Fight of The Year”-contender of last summer.  Abraham-Stieglitz II will be televised live ringside from GTEC Arena in Magdeburg, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany on Saturday, March 23, beginning at 4:30 p.m. ET / 1:30 p.m. PT, exclusively on EPIX, the premium entertainment service. EPIX will stream the fights live on and on the EPIX app on Xbox consoles and Roku players as part of a special free trial offer for boxing fans.

These two gladiators boast three world titles between them and a combined record of 79-6 (52 KOs) -- a winning percentage of 93% and a victory by knockout ratio of 66%.

In addition to the Abraham- Stieglitz world super middleweight championship rematch, the live EPIX telecast will feature undefeated No. 1 heavyweight contender ROBERT “The Nordic Nightmare” HELENIUS, risking rank and record in the co-main event.

Abraham (36-3, 28 KOs), a native of Armenia who lives in Berlin, certainly lived up to his ring name, King Arthur, when he ruled the middleweight division as an undefeated world champion. He captured the vacant International Boxing Federation (IBF) middleweight crown in 2005, knocking out Kingsley Ikeke in the fifth round. He successfully defended his title 11 times – seven by way of knockout – during his four-year reign. The contenders he defeated as middleweight champion had a combined record of 298-18-6 when he fought them, including Shannon Taylor, Kofi Jantuah, Edison Miranda, Lajuan Simon and Raul Marquez. In search of bigger challenges, Abraham vacated his title and moved up to super middleweight to compete in the Super Six tournament in 2009. After knocking out former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor in the opening bout, he lost his next three and was eliminated from the tournament. In 2012 he righted his ship, knocking out Pablo Farias in the fifth round to claim the WBO European super middleweight title. Two fights later, he upset Stieglitz, winning an exciting 12-round unanimous decision. In his last fight, Abraham successfully defended his new title, knocking out Medhi Bouadla in the eighth round last December 15.                 

Stieglitz (43-3, 24 KOs), a Russian native who fights out of Magdeburg, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany, enters his title challenge having won 12 of his last 13 bouts. Stieglitz captured the WBO super middleweight title in 2009, knocking out undefeated defending champion Karoly Balzsay in the 11th round. He successfully defended the title six times against contenders who had a combined record of 160-23-7 when he fought them during his three-year reign. He lost the title to Abraham last August 25. In his last fight, Stieglitz traveled to Barcelona, Spain and knocked out Michal Nieroda in the third round on January 26.        

Helenius (18-0, 11 KOs), a native of Sweden who fights out of Berlin, Germany, boasts knockout victories over former heavyweight champions Lamon Brewster and Samuel Peter as well as top contenders Dereck Chisora, Siarhei Liakhovich, and Attila Levin en route to becoming the WBO’s No. 1 heavyweight contender. In his last fight, on November 10, 2012, he defeated Sherman Williams by unanimous decision.  

Puerto Rican knockout artist, light welterweight Jorge Maysonet Jr., is earning a reputation for being one of boxing's most dangerous punchers.  The heavy handed purists is a former member of Puerto Rico's National team, but he is making a name for himself in the pro ranks with the destructive nature he demonstrates on his opponents.  Maysonet Jr. is undefeated with 10 knockouts in his 11 wins, and of those 10 KO's, 9 of them have come in the 1st round.  Maysonet Jr. is trained by his father, Jorge Maysonet Sr. and the two have drawn some unique similarities with one another.

Maysonet Sr., a former Olympian, had 22 professional wins with as many knockouts.  He possessed the kind of devastating power that sent chills down the back of his opponents and he maintained his 100% KO rate until he retired.  Maysonet Jr. is following in his father's footsteps to a certain degree and the unique symmetry between the two as it relates to power is not a coincidence.

"I don't practice knocking people out, but the knockouts keep coming.  It comes natural to me, maybe because of my father or maybe because I'm good at taking advantage of the moment.  There is no secret to my success in the ring, I just want to finish more than the other guy," Maysonet Jr. explained.

Maysonet Sr. is proud that his son is becoming such a force in the ring and he feels that Jr. has not reached his peak yet and, as scary as it sounds, could be getting even stronger.

"My son is passionate about what he does, he's a master at seizing the moment.  Jorge is strong, but he will get better by polishing his skills and that will lead to an increase in power.  He's a real threat in the ring right now, imagine how much more power he'll possess a year from now," Maysonet Sr. said.

There are many prospects in boxing that have come along with gaudy KO ratings, but most were successful by circumstance.  Maysonet Jr. is a real power house and only boxing guys with years under their belt can tell the difference, guys like his global promoter Gary Shaw.

"I've been in this business and I've seen these guys that think they can hit, guys hyped by their record. The difference between Jorge Jr. and the rest is he knows how to hurt people on both physical and technical levels.  He's got real power, good old fashioned power.  When you watch him in the ring you get a sense of the old school combined with the new, it truly is a special thing to witness," Shaw said.

"Before I became a promoter I was on the New Jersey boxing commission and was at ringside for some of Maysonet Senior's fights, and now years later I'm promoting his son. These two are one of the best father-son / trainer-son duos in boxing.  We are all excited about their future.

Javier Bustillo and Leon Margules who jointly promote Maysonet Jr. with Shaw feel they have a rising star on their hands.

"Puerto Rico generates some of the best boxing talent in the world and Maysonet Jr. will be the next star to come emerge from the island." said Javier Bustillo. "Very rarely do you see a fighter with the skills and power that Junior possesses.  Right now he's the cream of the crop."

"Jorge is a special fighter, one that has the charisma to captivate the masses.  Every boxing fan loves to see the knockout and Maysonet Jr. is a knockout machine.  The future is bright for Junior and Puerto Rico should be excited about their rising star." said Leon Margules

Maysonet Jr. is flying under the radar in Puerto Rico, in the shadows of Jonathan Gonzalez (16-0-1, 13 KOs), Thomas Dulorme (17-1, 13 KOs) and Jose Pedraza (12-0, 8 KOs) to name a few.  The young phenom is on a quest to make a name for himself and prove to the world he is the best fighter to come from the island since Tito Trinidad, another knockout artist.

"Make no mistakes about it, I'm fighting to give my countrymen a reason to rise up and feel good about boxing like in the days when "Tito" was king of the boxing world.   Puerto Rico needs someone to rally behind and that person is Me." concluded Jorge Maysonet Jr.

Maysonet Jr., who is promoted by Gary Shaw Productions, Universal Promotions and Warriors Boxing, is part of Team Puerto Rico, a group dedicated to showcase the best talent from the island.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by richardt on 03-04-2013

Wonder what gravy train setup fight is next for him like a lot of prospects get. If he wants to advance, he needs to step up the competition. No matter what someone thinks about Jonathan Gonzalez, he has fought some…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (1)
Top Headlines David Haye: In 2017 I Will Be Heavyweight Champion - I Know It! De La Hoya To Critics: I Strongly Feel Canelo-Golovkin Will Happen Taras Shelestyuk Aims To Follow Gold Path of His Olympic Mates Brandon Rios a Free Agent, No Longer a Top Rank Fighter Katie Taylor Mulling Pro Move, Heading To Eddie Hearn? Fenech: Mundine-Green II is Bullsh*t Fight - Must Be Stopped! Nonito Donaire: I Want The Frampton vs. Santa Cruz Winner Next! Jack Doesn’t Take Much From DeGale’s Tough Fight with Medina Joshua's Fight Will Land on Showtime - Price, Jennings or Molina Keith Thurman vs. Danny Garcia Could Air on CBS in Prime Time George Foreman: Joshua Could Be Become an All-Time Great Andy Lee Wants Tough Fight, Gennady Golovkin Showdown Carl Frampton: I'll Beat Leo Santa Cruz Even More Convincingly! Jack: DeGale is Very Tough, I’ll Win and Be Best at 168 Arthur Abraham Out Of Martin Murray Rematch In Monte Carlo Craig Cunningham Heading To 154 After Shocker Over Ogogo Photos: Juanma Grinds Hard For Wilfredo Vazquez Grudge Fight Denis Shafikov vs. Richard Commey Set, Heading To Russia Broner vs. Granados on Feb. 11, Thurman vs. Garcia on March 4 Badou Jack vs. James DeGale Unification Set For January 14 Hosea Burton vs. Frank Buglioni Lands on Anthony Joshua Card Claressa Shields Pro Debut Finalized For Kovalev vs. Ward PPV Payano Eyes December Return in Quest For Second Title Reign Jason Sosa Embraces Smith Defense, Eyes Three Fights in 2017 Arum Apologizes To King For Post-Presidential Debate Vegas Spat Felix Verdejo is Very Eager To Get His Hands on Terry Flanagan Bob Arum on The Possibility of Miguel Cotto vs. Timothy Bradley Abel Sanchez: Ponamarev Likely Back on Lomachenko vs. Walters Bryant Jennings Ready To Step In, Face Anthony Joshua on 12/10 Dereck Chisora: Dillian Whyte is Nothing - I Will Stop Him! Vernon Forrest - Third Man Has Been Convicted in His Murder Pacquiao Feels Brunt of Long Flight, Takes Off From Training Marquez: If Canelo Trades With Golovkin - He's Committing Suicide! Lucas Browne Finds Himself in Limbo After Klitschko's Injury Andre Ward Aims To Set The Record Straight With Sergey Kovalev Video: Joe Smith Jr. Very Pumped To Face Bernard Hopkins Haye Explains Why Anthony Joshua-Eric Molina is Next - Not Price Marrero vs. Zambrano Talks Progress As Purse Bid Looms Klitschko's Manager Says Unfinished Contract Led To 2017 Jump Video: Oscar De La Hoya on Schaefer's Return, Hopkins, More

Latest Active Forum Threads