Nacho Says It's Now or Never For Chavez Jr. Agreement
By Miguel Rivera & Osiris Mendez Cruz, notifight.com
Veteran trainer Nacho Beristain is willing to reach an agreement with former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-1-1, 32KOs). BoxingScene.com reported on Saturday that Chavez spoke to Nacho about working together. Chavez was trained for his last few fights by Freddie Roach.
Chavez suffered his first career loss last September to Sergio Martinez. Afterwards, he tested postive for marijuana. Chavez also had alcohol issues last year and he often no-showed training sessions.
Nacho says Chavez offered an unsatisfactory sum of money, but they left things open to make a deal. There won't be a lot of time to make that deal. Once Nacho commits to several other training offers, he won't be available to train Chavez due to scheduling issues.
"Julio spoke to me, but we did not reach an agreement. The conversation took place a few days before Marquez's fight against Pacquiao [on December 8]. The amount of money that he was offering me was a ridiculous amount and I didn't like that. I told him that if he wanted to, we could negotiate on the amount he was offering and he told me 'he would think about it.' And I believe that he started looking for trainers who were charging what he was offering [to me]," Nacho said.
"I told him that I'm requesting this amount because we would work very well together and the responsibility is great. If he wants to pays me what I want, we'll move forward. If he decides to train with someone else, that's good and there is no problem. But if we do not come to an agreement in the near future, I won't be able to do it later on because I've already received several offers for my time, and I just added like three or four undefeated fighters and I have to keep an eye on them."
[QUOTE=turnedup;12915974]I'll grant you 3 of those names plus martinez...that's 4 fighters in 40 plus fights..that's less than 10% of his fights being against legit fighters..explain to me the other 90% of his fights.[/QUOTE] who was sergio fighting at 26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33 etc?…Comment by RightCrossKO on 01-14-2013
JCC Jr. can not be taught discipline. Won't matter who trains him from here on out. If he does not take his training seriously he will not get anywhere. He's got enough of a chin and just enough punching power…Comment by turnedup on 01-14-2013
[QUOTE=fenixbb;12915197]He has fighters like ****(good european amateur),Manfredo(not in his prime anymore),Duddy,Rubio(good experienced fighter) and Andy Lee, which I think are not bad fighters some of the were fought for a world title.[/QUOTE] I'll grant you 3 of those names plus…Comment by fenixbb on 01-14-2013
[QUOTE=turnedup;12915000]I'm sorry but if you get beaten up for 35 minutes of a 36 minute fight in the only true test of your abilities in 40 something fights..you cannot get a pass..yes he knocked down martinez in the last minute…Comment by turnedup on 01-14-2013
I'm sorry but if you get beaten up for 35 minutes of a 36 minute fight in the only true test of your abilities in 40 something fights..you cannot get a pass..yes he knocked down martinez in the last minute…Post a Comment - View More User Comments (18)